Easter Eggs...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Back in the day, there used to be cool hidden easter eggs and neat features all over the place in Mac OS and in software. Any good ones these days, there doesn't seem to be so much around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I don't know what you mean by 'Easter Eggs', but i did notice your the first Glaswegian I've seen on these boards - Hello
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Easter Eggs are jokes, images etc hidden in code by programmers. I found this on Google. Not sure how good it is.

http://www.eeggs.com/tree/1141.html
  • Reply 3 of 4
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

I don't know what you mean by 'Easter Eggs', but i did notice your the first Glaswegian I've seen on these boards - Hello

Howdy. Us Scots are a rare bunch round these parts I think.

Thanks for the link to the easter eggs. It seems that there are definitely less around these days. It used to be that you could hold down Apple and Alt in lots of programs and get a fun screen. I'm sure even the Finder did this arond OS7.5 time etc. Developers must be getting boring in their old age!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    IIRC, Steve put the lid on some of this stuff as of OS X (which is why the link notes that a few of these are "risky").

Most of the emacs stuff is legacy anyway and Apple just used the existing code with the eggs long since built in.

There are a few eggs in modern apps... including Photoshop's hidden "About Screens" in various versions, and stuff like QuarkXpress's little alien who zaps text boxes, but these are mostly holdovers from OS 9 code, and not from Cupertino's creative folks.

See also the old stuff here, and here and the ever informative Mackido

Widget and App developers may still include them, as may web site developers, but OS folks, not so much.