Apple's LCD displays suck?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    Any doubt as to whether rbald is a troll has now been answered.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Want to know where printing color fidelity is the most crucial of all markets?

The home furnishings industry.

Think about this, Ms. Smith flips through a nice furniture catalog and orders a 250lb. armoire because it's Antigued, distressed Old Vanilla finish will match perfectly to her antique white writing desk.

The armoire arrives and it's just a shade more yellow than represented in the catalog. Ms Smith paid a lot of money for this armoire and for that kind of dough, she wants it to match.

She returns it. Furntiure Co. eats the freight, and after many instances of this they fold.

J. Crew can eat the shipping cost of a few returned t-shirts, even though color fidelity in textiles is critical as well.

I design catalogs for the home furnishings industry and have a 22 ACD. No problems.

However, if you do professional color correction, you'll need a PressView and a hood. Actually a true professional color corrector can do it on a grayscale monitor because when an image is to be "color moved" they do it by the numbers in photoshop, not by looking at what they see....

Anyway, no matter what , you still can't trust what you see.. and that's why we have pantone books, and jars of ink.

MSKR
  • Reply 23 of 25
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    No complaints about my CD. If you need exact colors, you'll understand why PS uses pantone "color matching system"
  • Reply 24 of 25
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Any doubt as to whether rbald is a troll has now been answered.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There were questions?

Wish I had IP access to see exactly which of us regulars this guy is.

Jon?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    barvowbarvow Posts: 64member
    The posts that point out that color correction is done using Pantone color matching are definitely right. If you are doing color matching by eyeballing your monitor, whether LCD or CRT, you aren't going to match the color gamut of the real world of print inks, paints, etc.

I love the Apple Cinema Displays. However, I bought a Formac Gallery 1740 CAL, which has a 17.4" LCD screen, and comes with a Pantone calibration Spider that attaches to the monitor, and color matching software completely rewritten for the 1740 monitor. It produces very good "eyeball" matches as well as the ability to set up color profiles you can really trust. I've not seen any LCD that can do color matching like it short of the SGI monitors, at a much higher price.