Micro projector + TV tuner from Apple ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi !

I have been looking for a micro projector for my new mac mini + elgato tuner and found the perfect match ( mac mini brother anyone ?)

The Samsung sp-p300me is perfect.

Now imagine Apple took one of these, stuck a TV tuner inside and made a PVR solution or the mini .

I have been playing with a Toshiba TDP-ff1 and it's great also.

Why can't Apple do one of these ???

PS: Almost forgot... Stick an iPod Dock on it, too. 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Why not just make it wireless and call it a day, this way it can be behind you projecting on the wall while your mini or MacBook or whatnot is in front of you within remote line-of-site.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I've been wondering if Apple would ever get into the video projector market... Would be pretty sweet...

Is this the future of the iMac, instead of 20in screen, you get console with projector and keyboard, and BAM you have a screen twice that of the current iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Why not just make it wireless and call it a day, this way it can be behind you projecting on the wall while your mini or MacBook or whatnot is in front of you within remote line-of-site.

Right ! Almost forgot.

It has Airport integrated also. With Airtunes and AirMovie clients.

Front panel has Antenna in and Video out.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hey, I was wondering where the "Apple should make a projector" threads had gone!

Hi, I'm Addabox, and I've made it my business to respond to all "Apple should make a projector" threads with derisive yet compelling mockery.

Really, I should save this little speech somewhere and just cut and paste, but briefly:

Video projectors are a fiercely, fiercely competitive market, with all of the major CE manufacturers constantly vying for more brightness, more contrast, a smaller and lighter form factor and more convenience features. There is a whole big mature industry devoted to doing nothing but improving on those things.

If you want a projector, go buy one. I assure you that whatever can be wrung out of the existing tech has been, or shortly will be, at absolutely the lowest price point the economics of the industry will allow.

Apple has nothing to bring to this market. This market is nothing like the MP3 player market that Apple introduced the iPod into, or for that mater the iPod accessory speaker market that Apple introduced the iPod HiFi into.

Best they could do is buy the guts from one of the half dozen major players in the industry and wrap white plastic around it.

Industrial design might justify a premium on the Cinema Displays, since after the panel they are nothing but packaging, but not on a projector.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    They have one thing to bring, that I see, and I've been saying it since oh, 2003.

Ease of setup. And I don't mean the kind of 'easy setup' I see on current projectors (auto-keystone is great, but it's just a single piece)... although it's a small step towards what I was saying it should be several years ago.

What's the biggest problem with a home projector setup at the moment, other than control of light levels? Geometry. You have to find a place to put the bloody thing that is across the room. Whether you mount it on the ceiling, under a table, or what have you, you still have a beam going across the room.

Instead, have the projector be just *below* the screen. In other words, your Mini, PVR, DVD, Cable box, etc are all right there with the projector, like they would be with a TV. The projector has an extreme angle to deal with, but I've seen grad students handle worse situations in our optics and graphics lab, by far.

*NOW* toss in auto-keystoning, auto-focus, and color calibration to the wall color. It's the 'instant projector'. Plop it down on the table below the wall you want to project onto, and it sets itself up.

It's the one missing thing for the home theater as it stands, because you're absolutely right - no one wants to mess with cables going back and forth from the devices in front of them to the projector behind them.

No one else has done this, and I really have never figured out why. 'Too radical' is my bet.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Hey, I was wondering where the "Apple should make a projector" threads had gone!

Hi, I'm Addabox, and I've made it my business to respond to all "Apple should make a projector" threads with derisive yet compelling mockery.

Apple has nothing to bring to this market. This market is nothing like the MP3 player market that Apple introduced the iPod into, or for that mater the iPod accessory speaker market that Apple introduced the iPod HiFi into.

Best they could do is buy the guts from one of the half dozen major players in the industry and wrap white plastic around it.

Hi Addabox.

I'm the one who thinks that the projector business is about content, too.

Apple has nothing to bring to this market ???

Apple has everything to bring to this market.

The projector is just the tip of the iceberg. It's like saying that Apple wouldn't bring nothing to the earphone market ( or miniature hard disk) because it's too competitive.Well they slapped a iPod, a iTunes store, and iTunes around it and guess what ?? Nobody gives a rats ass about the earphone market...

At the end of the day it's just a piece of the puzzle. Sure, the projectors would evolve, better brightness, contrast and whatever...

I'm talking about getting the Movies from my MovieStore into my mini. Then I would have to shop for a TV, Plasma, LCD with Tv, yadda , yadda yadda.

Problem solved ! isn't Apple about the "whole picture", getting it right ???

I miss your point, but I can learn...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    kormac is making plastics for just such a device.

• Reply 8 of 10
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

kormac is making plastics for just such a device.

Dude, get with it?

kimkapsol makes the plastics?

kormac is a visionary cum possible sanitary engineer?

Duh?!

;^p
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    oh right,

I guess I am burned out from all of the Apple 30th anniversary parties that were thrown all over the country...

As for easy TV tuner from Apple... Isn't that coming as stock on the apple flat panel TV due out last January?

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi

As for easy TV tuner from Apple... Isn't that coming as stock on the apple flat panel TV due out last January?

Now I know the Apple Projector will sit on top of iTV and not a mac mini...