Adobe Photoshop engineer details Intel Mac challenges

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

No one said it couldn't be done. But, it requires a lot more hand coding. It requires chasing down libraries that aren't included, it requires finding and fixing Endian issues by hand, in most cases.

And, yes, Adobe has many specialized buckets of code that must be re-done by hand. Assembler code as well.

Isn't Assembler code below the operating system? In other words, if Adobe already has Intel Assembler code for Windows, don't they just reuse that for OS X on Intel now?

If there's one thing Adobe (and Microsoft) don't have to re-write, it's Assembler code.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Hopefully Adobe will end up bringing cs3 to market early.

I've said this before, but I really wonder if Apple isn't trying to become vertically integrated. If you go to the Apple store and look at the software Apple makes, the only thing really missing is a photoshop like app. Really in all core digital media areas there is an Apple solution.

I don't think so. Apple has had many opportunities over the years to buy programs. They only seem to buy those that will have some direct effect in an industry in which Apple is trying to sell machines.

When Metacreations sold off their portfolio of apps, Apple was thought to be the perfect suitor. But they made no move, and Corel bought them. Much more recently, when Corel announced they they would be for sale, Apple again failed to pick them up. These programs sold for a song.

Apple could have had Painter, Bryce, Poser, and some others, the names of which escape me.

When Macromedia announced they were up for sale, Apple could have picked them up. Adobe paid $3.4 Billion. Apple might have had to bid, and so might have paid $4 billion. But they would have had Director, Freehand, Flash, and many more.

Flash is a major standard, on many more machines that Quicktime, or any other framework.

Apple would have had more for a suite, if they needed one.

Then Apple would have had close to $4 billion a year in software sales.

But, I think this, and other missed opportunities, show that Apple really isn't interested. They are still primarily a hardware manufacturer, and the OS and other software is there to sell that.

It's why I find it hard to believe that Apple will license OS X for other x86 machines.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Isn't Assembler code below the operating system? In other words, if Adobe already has Intel Assembler code for Windows, don't they just reuse that for OS X on Intel now?

If there's one thing Adobe (and Microsoft) don't have to re-write, it's Assembler code.

No, any program can use assembler for routines.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    rasnetrasnet Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

They have, from the beginning, refused to rewrite any application in ObjC. The fact that ObjC++ is mature within GCC is one less excuse for Adobe. Microsoft is no different, nor Macromedia.

They want to keep their app code base in C++ as much as possible.

Hell, they use Trolltech Qt C++ frameworks for some of their projects. They use GTK+ I believe for their Linux port of Acrobat Reader. The primary language is C++.

ObjC++ is very well done nowadays (although it hasn't been for all that long) and it does make bringing Cocoa to existing C++ code rather painless. However, existing Carbon code is a different story. There's no reason for them to change that which doesn't need changing.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

No, any program can use assembler for routines.

And when they do, they are going around the operating system. They are writing to the hardware. So it doesn't matter which operating system is running. So assembler written for Intel is assembler written for Intel, no matter whether Windows or OS X is running.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Quote:

This is true.

However, I don't know how hard it is to (a) move that assembler into Xcode?it's likely the hardest part of the Xcode transition.. and (b) it is to switch the Mac version to the Intel assembler code (shouldn't be that hard, but you never know how Adobe set up their code 10 years ago...).
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

They have, from the beginning, refused to rewrite any application in ObjC. The fact that ObjC++ is mature within GCC is one less excuse for Adobe. Microsoft is no different, nor Macromedia.

They want to keep their app code base in C++ as much as possible.

And for good reason.

I love Objective-C, it's my language of choice, but if someone told me to port a 10-year-old app to it "just because," I'd laugh in their face. Especially if I needed to continue coding it in C++ for other platforms.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    rasnetrasnet Posts: 37member
    Quote:

And when they do, they are going around the operating system. They are writing to the hardware. So it doesn't matter which operating system is running. So assembler written for Intel is assembler written for Intel, no matter whether Windows or OS X is running.

Well, that's sort of a yes and no kind of thing. Plus, assembly syntax differs from compiler to compiler.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Yeah well Digidesign announced a Universal version of Pro Tools by the end of Q2 this year!! Pro Tools is a huge application as well and arguably far more complex since it depends on Digidesign's Audio engine which provides realtime read/write of multiple channels of audio along with realtime processing of multi-channel audio.

Apple managed to get Logic Audio and Final Cut Pro into X-Code and ship a Universal app. Again, these apps are probably "Larger" than Photoshop and depend again on some pretty heavy duty realtime processing.

Photoshop in comparison is very "unsophisticated" with all its simple single offline processing.

Sounds like a whole lot of excuses and politics going on at Adobe.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    XCode, X-Code, xCode, XCODE... sheesh people, it's just "Xcode". 8)
  • Reply 51 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Yeah well Digidesign announced a Universal version of Pro Tools by the end of Q2 this year!! Pro Tools is a huge application as well and arguably far more complex since it depends on Digidesign's Audio engine which provides realtime read/write of multiple channels of audio along with realtime processing of multi-channel audio.

For real time handling, you want that code to be as simple as possible in the first place. If that's a piece of hardware, then that is likely irrelevant because dedicated processing hardware generally simplifies the software.

Quote:

Apple managed to get Logic Audio and Final Cut Pro into X-Code and ship a Universal app. Again, these apps are probably "Larger" than Photoshop and depend again on some pretty heavy duty realtime processing.

How long has Apple had to convert that software to Xcode? They may have been porting it for five years or more.

Quote:

Photoshop in comparison is very "unsophisticated" with all its simple single offline processing.

I think you are underestimating the program's complexity quite a bit.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Come of it, who follows links?

You, if you're seriously interested. Why pollute a topic by posting a bunch redundant content just to satisfy someone's laziness?
  • Reply 53 of 69
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:

I don't think so. The Mac sales side of it has been rising slightly over the past year.

Despite some friction between Apple and Adobe, Adobe knows that its danger comes from MS. I'm pretty sure, that because of that perception, they would like Mac sales to rise, if for no other reason than to be a bulwark against the day that MS comes out with that suite (if they do).

To my mind Adobe is forgetting where their roots are (they started their rise on the Mac). To put it more aggressively, Adobe starts to wipe their roots out deliberately. They forget about the easy way to get things done. Photoshop is getting more and more "windowesc" - Bloatware. I get more and more the impression, that Photoshop is developed with Windows as it's prime target (Force of marketshare?). We Mac users get what is left after a more or less poor done port. For me Adobe is slowly but steadily lost to the dark side of the force.

To much rant?
  • Reply 54 of 69
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The thing is - if that's the case - why isn't anyone else building a Photoshop competitor?

If the bloatware allegation is true, then a lean, mean Xcode-driven competitor with 50-75% of Photoshop's features should be able to garner significant marketshare.

Why isn't anyone trying?
  • Reply 55 of 69
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Kind of a collection of thoughts:

For years apple has been struggling with getting CPU supplies from Moto and IBM that competed with Intel/AMD offerings, specifically in the portable market. It was publicly known that high yields, clockspeeds increases/time, and general development of PPC processors could not suit Apple's needs.

I believe it to have been rather common knowledge that x86 builds of OS X have been around Apple since possibly the OS X transition, but more commonly discussed in the last couple of years.

It seems to be somewhat reckless to not consider a move by Apple to Intel processors and think of how to prepare for such a transition. I believe the idea is over a decade old in theoretical senses, and had been mentioned within discussions on these forums for several years (Jan 99). I'm sure people were talking about a MacTel machine before the first G4 towers came out.

MacTel does have some sort of malicious connotation IMPO. Nowhere in any serious context have Intel based Macs ever been reffered as MacTel.

With MetroWerks continually lacking with their support and development of CodeWarrior and Apple continually developing and pushing their toolset (which has been around for how long? I'm not sure when Xcode 1.0 was out), huge developers who plan to continually develop for a growing OS should have at least maybe downloaded it from Apple's website and piddled around with it, considering it could forseeably be the sole toolkit for them to work with. The case Adobe is making seems to echo that they had barely even knew of the existence of Xcode and why Apple pushed it.

I'm not aware of the benefits, abilities or qualities of either toolsets, but Apple makes some pretty amazing software titles. Aperture, the whole Final Cut Studio, Shake, Logic, iLife, iWork, Logic etc. all work very well and I generally feel they operate more reliably and efficiently than anything Adobe has put out lately.

I do not believe, well Apple didn't give us a shortcut like they did with 68k > PPC as a reasonable excuse as to why they have been caught with their pants down in a way.

I also do not believe Adobe is entirely at fault, Apple is always primarily concerned with its own interests and blabbing to everyone a year or so ago that they will be porting to Intel could have been devastating. Though I think the current way the whole company has been riding the iPod+iTunes wave, it might have been wise to have told developers earlier to get their software ready... since now the "MacTel" cat is only half way out of the bag with two main product lines still in PPC limbo.

Completely a tangent because I just read the article back in January about AE7 to be lacking a nice Universal Logo on the box... Someone had mentioned the acquistion of Macromedia (something I believe Microsoft had been interested in as well) and how Microsoft currently does not complete with Adobe titles in the fashion that Apple does. This made me quite frightened of a potential global scale bridge burning of Adobe turning away from Apple. Though this obviously isn't happening with the Press Releases about Universal support being held of until CS3 etc etc. The potential for such a scenario though kind of resonated in my head though.

It the capacity for predicting and actively preparing for plausible scenarios and taking action accordingly that would have not left Adobe (as well as Apple and its customers) in this mess.

[sarcasm]Maybe Adobe will offer a solution to current MacTel owners, to install Windows and run Adobe titles natively under Windows. Considering how well XP can run on an Apple system (from what I've heard), and to have natively coded software for the Operating System, it seems to be the most realistic solution for individuals concerned with the uber performace of their apps.[/sarcasm]

It has been a continually noted scenario on these boards of what would make developers bother to develop for both OS X and Windows Vaepa* when they could essentially create software for Windows if it can somehow easily be ported or natively run on an Apple system (obviously this is a much more complex issue and brings on issues of mutliple operating system installs or emulation).

So Apple tried to cover its ass with secrecy (nothing new in the last three decades), Adobe kind of sat twidbling thumbs in their throne... and now the whole mess has resulted into something that too closely parellels the blame game in Katrina. Instead of spending time, resources and thought into blame, why just accomplish the appropriate and effective solution as soon as possible with all sides working together... and if it's anything like progress in New Orleans (and many other affected areas), Universal CS3 might not be anything more than an empty box in shrinkwrap by Q2 2007. Even Apple couldn't keep its March deadline for UB of Aperture.

*Vaepa... vapor.. vaporware... funny... maybe not.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CDonG4

Maybe Adobe will offer a solution to current MacTel owners, to install Windows and run Adobe titles natively under Windows.

Five minutes after Adobe announced that, Apple would announce plans to buy Quark, and upgrade Aperture to absolutely vaporize Photoshop's marketshare.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Five minutes after Adobe announced that, Apple would announce plans to buy Quark, and upgrade Aperture to absolutely vaporize Photoshop's marketshare.

It is plausible, and with plausible scenarios companies strategize accordingly. It would be stupid for Adobe to not have already considered dropping out from the Mac market, and it would be stupid of Apple to not have already considered what solutions they would have for such a scenario.

I see tides changing, Apple is developing more software for its own OS moreso than ever before and there is no indication of this trend subsiding. Everything could just go as planned and not many surprises. Apple has a little rough patch during the transition to Intel, once everyone is on board... Apple takes the reigns of the personal computing world and 1984 is here... iSights in every mirror.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    This kind of reminds me of Quark. Remember how it took them like 16 million year to put out the first OS X code cause they had to do an almost complete rewrite? Well, they did that, and now they are releasing their Universal Binary of Quark 7 in a couple of months.

Looks to me like Adobe is where Quark was in 2001-2004
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:

What people forget is that if it wasn't for MetroWorks, Apple might not be here today. And then, after they think they don't need them anymore, Apple tells people to leave them. That's not right either.

And what even more people forget is that Metrowerks was financially supported by Apple for many years. Exactly how many years of life support is Apple supposed to give them? Especially once they became a clueless company that was failing to meet their users' (or Apple's) needs in anything approaching a timely fashion. This is a downright silly argument.

Metrowerks' ultimate demise has been obvious to the casual observer since 1999. Do you really think Apple didn't have a better perspective on it than the casual observer?
  • Reply 60 of 69
    the main problem adobe had was that xcode was not a very good development environment. i have a friend who is very high up in adobe and the complaint has been that xcode was bad enough that it didn't make sense to just port the code over just for the hell of it. he did say, however, that apple was working very closely with them to improve xcode on a daily basis. so at least apple is serious about developing xcode.

another factor is that adobe is probably using the intel switch and vista delay as smokescreens to buy themselves more time to integrate the macromedia apps into the creative suite. it's a smart move on their part really. personally, i'll just wait out the first generation of intel powermacs and continue chugging along with cs2.