Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pioneer01

After this update my Mac mini no longer has a serial number in software!

I clicked on About this Mac and twice on version number and it just displays the words Serial Number nothing else. Also opened system profiler and the serial number is absent there as well! Wierd

Strange, my serial is still there on this G4 Mac mini.

'Wierd' was a typo right? Weird indeed.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Wrong and wrong.

ongoing Macintouch reports on faulty MBPs

Um, okay. I and a colleague of mine have bought several MacBook Pro's, and none exhibit any of the problems.

Maybe you are wrong, and only the 1% of people who are experiencing these problems complain? At any rate, it's still under warranty and Apple will fix it. The MacBook Pro basically uses an Intel architecture and mainboard now, so any problems are more likely to be Intel problems than Apple problems per se. Anyway, I haven not yet seen a MacBook Pro that exhibits these serious problems. I'm not saying there are none, clearly some people have experienced problems (though some seem to be due to flakey third party memory). All I can say is that 100% of the MacBook Pro's I have seen have been fine and have not experienced any of these issues, not even the inverter problem.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    i dont know if it was me re-installing mac osX or this update but my spotlight finally works after a year of having tiger!

THANK YOU!!!
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Wow, were you deprived. Congratulations

And I noticed this:

Quote:

Addresses USB audio issues for PowerPC Macs; for example, latency is improved.

Maybe that means I'll get better response times when monitoring my guitar through GarageBand with all the distortion (I use iMic).

Edit: Huge spelling correction.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by livatlantis

...Maybe that means I'll get better response times when monitoring my guitar through GarageBand with all the distortion (I use iMic)

Hey there... With audio latency sometimes the hardware box thingy itself is the "culprit" not the USB interface. It could be related to the latency of iMic (Griffin Tech right?). Or maybe it be both. Or maybe the software as well. Anyways, good luck, hope it's better overall for ya... 8)
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by nay_acharya

i dont know if it was me re-installing mac osX or this update but my spotlight finally works after a year of having tiger!

THANK YOU!!!

WTF? NO SPOTLIGHT FOR A YEAR? Sorry to hear that, dude.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Hey there... With audio latency sometimes the hardware box thingy itself is the "culprit" not the USB interface. It could be related to the latency of iMic (Griffin Tech right?). Or maybe it be both. Or maybe the software as well. Anyways, good luck, hope it's better overall for ya... 8)

I'll post how things turn out
  • Reply 48 of 74
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:

After this update my Mac mini no longer has a serial number in software!

I clicked on About this Mac and twice on version number and it just displays the words Serial Number nothing else. Also opened system profiler and the serial number is absent there as well! Weird

That normally means that your logic board was replaced. Did you send your Mini for repair recently?
  • Reply 49 of 74
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well I'll probably update in a day or two, after waiting for you guinea pigs to test the waters a little bit more.

The big thing is that I hope Spotlight fucking works in Mail. It's really, REALLY stupid that it won't turn up any results with 90% of the words I type in to the Find field. Sure hope that's rectified.

Also if I installed a hacked Front Row on my PB...do you guys think 10.4.6 will make it go away? I actually want it to go away since the battery in my keyspan remote died.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Well I'll probably update in a day or two, after waiting for you guinea pigs to test the waters a little bit more.

The big thing is that I hope Spotlight fucking works in Mail. It's really, REALLY stupid that it won't turn up any results with 90% of the words I type in to the Find field. Sure hope that's rectified.

Also if I installed a hacked Front Row on my PB...do you guys think 10.4.6 will make it go away? I actually want it to go away since the battery in my keyspan remote died.

hit command esc.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've had .Mac syncing issues most of the day and I'm still on 10.4.5. Browsing the Apple support site shows I'm not the only one.

This feature is great when it works, but once you start depending on it it's a nightmare when it starts misbehaving.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    [QUOTE]But, yes, they should at least do that. I see all the guys here who have already used update to install the incremental version. Even after all the years it's been said that that's NOT the preferred way to do it.[/QUOTE

What do you mean by this? That we should download it manually?

Also, to clarify, I think SU should fix permissions and Verify. Then notify you if Verification failed. Why can't Apple do what TechTool does, do trickery under the hood to create an "eDrive" partition, so that we don't need boot from another machine to repair our drive? I don't care if it's a "Unix thing" it's annoying and if it isn't too difficult should be addressed. Hey, they got Verify to work...half way there!
  • Reply 53 of 74
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

I clicked on About this Mac and twice on version number and it just displays the words Serial Number nothing else.

Hmm, About This Mac doesn't open on this iBook G3 after installing 10.4.6, it just generates a couple console messages:

2006-04-04 09:20:06.414 loginwindow[88] *** Assertion failure in -[NSThemeFrame initWithFrame:], AppKit.subproj/NSView.m:710

2006-04-04 09:20:06.415 loginwindow[88] Uninitialized rectangle passed to [View initWithFrame:].

Will check that later on my other two systems.

First thing I noticed was improved AirPort reception. Mostly 3-4 whatevers in the menubar icon and no more connection flapping(!), just an occasional drop to 2.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Aquatic

Quote:

But, yes, they should at least do that. I see all the guys here who have already used update to install the incremental version. Even after all the years it's been said that that's NOT the preferred way to do it.[/QUOTE

What do you mean by this? That we should download it manually?

Also, to clarify, I think SU should fix permissions and Verify. Then notify you if Verification failed. Why can't Apple do what TechTool does, do trickery under the hood to create an "eDrive" partition, so that we don't need boot from another machine to repair our drive? I don't care if it's a "Unix thing" it's annoying and if it isn't too difficult should be addressed. Hey, they got Verify to work...half way there!

Actually? Yes. Often problems are seen by people who use the incremental upgrade. Many of those problems are fixed with combo.

I always just go for the combo. It wipes out all of the incremental updates installed and installs from the base system.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    editoreditor Posts: 3member
    Well, this is the first I've read about using combos instead of incremental upgrades and repairing permissions before upgrading.

Safari was giving me beach balls the last couple of days and I was hopeful the upgrade my address that. The download went well. I hit restart and it stopped at the gray Apple screen with no swirly. For a good 30 minutes my iMac G5 1.8 fans roared. I finally shut it off by holding the button and tried to reboot three or four more times with the same result.

I've downloaded MacOSXSrvrUpdCombo10.4.6.dmg and MacOSXUpd10.4.6PPC.dmg at work and burned them. I plan to head home with my Diskwarrior and Tech Tools CD and hopefully get things running.

Grrr!
  • Reply 56 of 74
    editoreditor Posts: 3member
    It's kind of sad that my Quicksilver 9.2.1 at work is a more stable platform. And here I've been bitching and moaning about upgrading (and getting new systems) for a few years.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nay_acharya

THANK YOU!!!

Me thinks it was your re-install that did it. I can't imagine that 10.4.6 fixed whatever your problem was. Spotlight has worked FLAWLESSLY on my aged 450 MHz. G4 Cube since day one!
  • Reply 58 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Editor

Well, this is the first I've read about using combos instead of incremental upgrades and repairing permissions before upgrading.

Safari was giving me beach balls the last couple of days and I was hopeful the upgrade my address that. The download went well. I hit restart and it stopped at the gray Apple screen with no swirly. For a good 30 minutes my iMac G5 1.8 fans roared. I finally shut it off by holding the button and tried to reboot three or four more times with the same result.

I've downloaded MacOSXSrvrUpdCombo10.4.6.dmg and MacOSXUpd10.4.6PPC.dmg at work and burned them. I plan to head home with my Diskwarrior and Tech Tools CD and hopefully get things running.

Grrr!

I don't know of any reason to repair permissions before updating. But, verifying, and repairing your HD, is a must.

Be careful with Tech Tools, it can cause serious problems.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Why is verifying and repairing your HD a must before updating?
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Originally posted by Gene Clean

Why is verifying and repairing your HD a must before updating?

Just one of those Mac weirdness. Some people claim it's just voodoo and some people claim it always helps to verify-repair your HD before any sort of upgrading.

I've got no problems 10.4.6 software update (not combo) works like a charm for me The only thing like I mentioned above is the dmproxy* issue that still seems to be around.

Melgross it's the first time I've heard about installing combo is better than software update but an interesting theory nonetheless. I like the idea that it's a "fresher, cleaner" kind of update rather than a "patching" kind of update.

*http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...&query=dmproxy