The digital SLR thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have had a few thoughts about digital SLRs recently, and though we could do with a thread with the friendly and knowledgable chaps at appleinsider. Firstly, is there a reason for SLRs shooting in 3:2 size (with the exception of Olympus), when most digital compacts shoot in 4:3?

I'm assuming it's to allow backwards compatability with old lenses which were for 3:2 bodies?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Prettymuch. Digital SLR's try to mimic traditional film cameras as much as they can. You come into magnification factors and that whole can of worms if you change things.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Prettymuch. Digital SLR's try to mimic traditional film cameras as much as they can. You come into magnification factors and that whole can of worms if you change things.

Cool that makes sense. The Olympus system seems quite attractive then, as it allows 4:3 which is a more computer friendly format. Not that it makes a huge difference I suppose - traditionalists will prefer the 3:2 format they are used to, but people used to digital compacts might prefer the 4:3.

Speaking of Olympus, the live-view system in the E-330 is quite interesting. As I have a digital compact just now, and find the screen incredibly useful, what are people's thoughts on live-view screens? I think I might hold off until the technology improves, and hopefully Canon or Nikon would incorporate it into their future models. Thoughts?