Help switching from PC > Mac (email)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was a long-time Mac user but my company just couldn't deal with the compatibility and hardware issues and the last Mac I had was a G3 333 Powerbook.

I just bought a MacBook Pro 2Ghz and have it dual-booting Mac OS X and Windows XP. I have a couple programs (like Act! and SmartDraw) that don't have Mac versions. Anyway...

I'd really like to get my email from Outlook .pst files (regular and archive) over to the Mac side and I have no idea how.

I do not have Entourage (or Office at all) on the Mac. I have Mail, Thunderbird and would be willing to buy Entourage if I had to.

Are there programs I can buy, or procedures I can go through to transfer my mail over to my Mac? I have about 4 years of company and personal mail that I really want to save and I'd like to use the Windows side as little as possible!!

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Not sure if this will help, or if you've seen it...

http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/software.html

I seem to recall other means-- will be back if I find it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Is your company mail server serving your mail in POP or IMAP protocols? If it's IMAP, all of your e-mail is still resident on the company servers and you can simply re-download it using Mail or Thunderbird.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    This should be exactly what you need.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    I would pay the money for the utility mentioned above. I did manage to transfer my large Outlook XP .pst file over to the Mac world using free tools, but it was extremely time consuming and fiddly.

If you do end up using Mail.app, remember that Spotlight will want to index every email you have, which depending on how many you have could take a long time!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    beleybeley Posts: 30member
    Thanks for the replies guys... that O2M utility looks promising. It's a POP account and my PST file is well over 1GB... it's a lot of mail!

I'm going to download and try O2M -- hopefully that will work.

Thanks.