My new website (in the works) any thoughts?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I am working out the details of my photography website and I wanted to get some feedback from the crowd here. http://web.mac.com/simonlive/iWeb/Site/Photos.html this is the basic layout that I am working with a buddy on and I was hoping to get some suggestions. As you can see I'm in the early stages of development here and any suggestions could really be benificial. Please feel free to offer any inital thoughts weather you like it or not I've got some pretty thick skin. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Oh, and and any ideas on text or forums you'ld like to see would be great.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Needs more content
  • Reply 3 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I, too, am designing one right now, what ya'll think? It's not online yet, here are two shots.

screenshot 1

screenshot 2

Still trying to work out some consistency problems in the background coloring between white and off-white... which are distinctions invisible on Apple flatpanels but glaring on CRTs.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I think screenshot 1 is much more concise and layout wise works better. Don't worry too much about the colors, you got that down with an elegant shade of grey. Don't crack your head over how white it is. It's the layout and being able to highlight the beauty of each house that's the most important thing.

Instead of small thumbnails of each house consider one bigger block highlighting one house at a time and gently fading into the next house (yup, target Flash 5 with 99% of people being able to see Flash 5). More elegant, more focus on the house.

BTW In screenshot 1 the left hand navigation looks good.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I, too, am designing one right now, what ya'll think? It's not online yet, here are two shots.

screenshot 1

screenshot 2

Still trying to work out some consistency problems in the background coloring between white and off-white... which are distinctions invisible on Apple flatpanels but glaring on CRTs.

looks good Placebo but I am viewing it on a 23" Apple monitor so I may not be seeing some of the issues you mentioned. I also dont want to go into many details until you comment on the layout of mine
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I think screenshot 1 is much more concise and layout wise works better. Don't worry too much about the colors, you got that down with an elegant shade of grey. Don't crack your head over how white it is. It's the layout and being able to highlight the beauty of each house that's the most important thing.

Instead of small thumbnails of each house consider one bigger block highlighting one house at a time and gently fading into the next house (yup, target Flash 5 with 99% of people being able to see Flash 5). More elegant, more focus on the house.

BTW In screenshot 1 the left hand navigation looks good.

I like the idea of one house in focus at a time... but I think the idea is for rapid navigation, and that can be easily handled as a clickable (possibly scrolling) bar of thumbnails which cause the fading image to fade into that image -- don't do overly long fades -- 1 sec fade out/in -- 5 or 6 seconds per image...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I am working out the details of my photography website and I wanted to get some feedback from the crowd here. http://web.mac.com/simonlive/iWeb/Site/Photos.html this is the basic layout that I am working with a buddy on and I was hoping to get some suggestions. As you can see I'm in the early stages of development here and any suggestions could really be benificial. Please feel free to offer any inital thoughts weather you like it or not I've got some pretty thick skin. Thanks guys.

I think you need to get a bit more on there so we can really tell. Just the one thumbnail doesn't give much of an idea of how it will be laid out. Other than that, nice. Could be more adventurous with the link to your main site (a graphic or something?).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Each house is a clickable thumbnail; the bar on the left browses the category of houses you're viewing, and clicking on each thumbnail brings it up in a new window.

I barely know PHP so all of that working has been a major pride for me.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

I think you need to get a bit more on there so we can really tell. Just the one thumbnail doesn't give much of an idea of how it will be laid out. Other than that, nice. Could be more adventurous with the link to your main site (a graphic or something?).

when you say adventurous a lot comes to mind but I am not sure if you are refering to the selected link or the possibly the home page link? I very interested in this input. After staring at 25 different layouts over the last several weeks I've begun to settle on this general design but it's obviously missing a lot...thats why I've posted here.

The content will be added once the layout has been settled on. Right now there is a lot of plainess going on that I'd like to solve without over-complicating the site.