powerbook sale

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
first...let me apologize if this is inappropriate, I was reading the guidelines and could not see if this was ok or not.

I put my powerbook on ebay and it is ending in 3 hours so I wanted to post a link to it in case anyone here was looking for one. Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

first...let me apologize if this is inappropriate, I was reading the guidelines and could not see if this was ok or not.

I put my powerbook on ebay and it is ending in 3 hours so I wanted to post a link to it in case anyone here was looking for one. Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Nice PowerBook. I might consider buying it if I hadn't just purchased a new iMac.

A little advice though when listing stuff like that on eBay - don't start your price at what you want. $2,150 for a starting bid is pretty hefty. Start it at $0.99 and then place a reserve price on it ... it ends up costing about the same and I guarantee you'll have more hits, more bids and maybe a better ending price than you envisioned. This happened with my iMac G4. I listed it on eBay at my lowest buying price and it didn't sell, but I relisted it again ... dropped the starting price down to nothing and placed a reserve on it. It was bid up to $500 within five or six hours. People are just more apt to bid on something when they see it for dirt cheap, and as they try to meet the reserve, this will keep driving the price higher.

Good luck getting it sold though!

EDIT: The lack of a shipping option and no PayPal is probably KILLING the amount of customers you'd have also.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    thanks for your advise....does'nt look like it is going to sell, now I just need to decide whether to relist or keep it...I really love it, I just got thinking about that dual boot thingy and got caught up in the hype
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

thanks for your advise....does'nt look like it is going to sell, now I just need to decide whether to relist or keep it...I really love it, I just got thinking about that dual boot thingy and got caught up in the hype

Eh ... I'd approach this the same way you approach any new computer purchase. Do you absolutely need it - or is it something you want. Wanting is okay, but can leave you out a lot of cash.

Boot Camp is a nice feature, but is it something you have to have right now? I understand wanting to play games on it and stuff like that, but it's something to wait on until you're ready to buy a new computer. I bought the iMac G5 2 days before the Intels came out and I really thought about returning it for the new ones, but I just needed my applications natively ... the thought of running Mathematica, or Photoshop, or Unreal Tournament on Rosetta made me cringe a little bit, so I stayed where I'm at. In about 2 years, I'll probably spring for a new desktop because I'll want a new one by then. There was nothign wrong with the iMac G4 I had, I just wanted to upgrade and I did. So you should ask yourself a few questions before you go all in for the new computer:

1) Do you need the upgrades offered

2) Do you have the money

It's that simple. You might try relisting the PowerBook based on my earlier post and see how it goes. Before you do that, I'd try pricing out the MBP you want at The Apple Store and seeing how much its going to cost, then setting your reserve price on the PB accordingly. You probably won't get enough to pay for the 2.0 GHz MBP, but you might just get enough to pay for the 1.83 GHz.

Good luck again!!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    thanks again, that was excellent advise....if it had sold I was going to get a new ibook when they are announced...but the truth is I would miss my powerbook, it is incredible and really virtual pc is not that bad for my purposes. I run windows 98 through it whenever I need my picture window program...which is really the only windows program I can't do without.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Just a few tips if you plan on selling things on eBay in the future:

As AgNuke1707 said, you want to start it out at 99¢ with a reserve, and do not tell people what the reserve is, the suspense of hitting it will drive the price up.

For the summary, people prefer it when (especially with a computer) the seller gives a long, detailed summary of what comes with it, what condition it is in, how old it is, hardware specs (for a computer), and pretty much everything else about the item in question.

Another very important tip is not to get personal, nobody wants to hear ramblings about the trip you went on.

But the most important thing of all is to make the absolute best title for your auction as you can. Try looking for whatever you are selling on eBay, and act as a potential buyer, use keywords to find the item that average Joes might use, and steal content from the titles that best match what you are selling, and pop up very often throughout the many searches you just did. This is what will bring people to your auction.

Even though you might not relist your PB, I thought these tips will be useful in the future.

Hope they help,

Noah