How can I transfer my itunes library to an external hard drive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

I transfer my itune music folder to my external hard drive and remove the folder from my computer. But when I open the itunes application, I have no music there, so I went to preference, advanced and change the location of my itunes music folder. but I still get no music in my itunes.

I have no idea why It doesn't want to work

Can you help me please

thank you

sev

I forgot to mention when I open the itunes app it creates automatically a new folder itunes in my computer I cant link it to my external hard drive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The only thing you needed to do was copy the iTunes>iTunes Music Folder to the external and change prefs (including perhaps options for consolide library etc).

The library file is left behind in your folder. You have generated a new one!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    so how can I fixe it now since I already did what I said in my first message
  • Reply 3 of 8
    copy these files back from the external drive (I guess)

Tunes Library

and iTunes Music Library.xml

to overwrite the new ones you got.

Then make sure iTunes 'points' to the right place i.e. the new location of iTunes music folder. It can be caled anything - it is the folder "above" where all the music is.

FYI, Actually in the normal case you wouldn't have to copy anything just set the iTunes library to the new location in prefs. and set keep things organized and consolidated and it should (over time) copy everything to the new location AFAIK.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    now my itunes music folder and mi itunes application are not connected even if i went to preference then advanced and chose the location of my itunes music folder. I have a empty library in my itunes.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    OK lets try again.

iTunes Library

and iTunes Music Library.xml <- these two files contain the information of whats in the library if they are placed in home>music>iTunes. You will see the library that they have info. about, when you run itunes. (But the library may not be connected).

In your case you copied these original files to an external drive. And deleted them from the original place. Then you ran iTunes and it developed a new set of files. (yawn). Now if you copied back those two files (from the external) to overwrite the new ones in home>music>iTunes. Then, when you run iTunes you would see your old library - but perhaps it would not be connected. It gets connected by pointing itunes in the preferences to the position of the music.

If you lost the two original files you can regenerate you iTunes library by pointing in the correct place and setting the librabry to consolidate and maybe keep iTunes library organized options. If you end up doing this you will have lost your playlists and a few of the prefs - but again the library will be there.

I can't say it any more clearly, sorry
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Yo Digby, your response is clear as pea soup. I am attempting to do the same as Severine and am about to smash my external HD in frustration.

8)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    For future reference, Apple provides a little support article on moving your iTunes folder...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

For future reference, Apple provides a little support article on moving your iTunes folder...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

Thanks for the link. Also found this step-by-step on macworld.com

http://playlistmag.com/features/2005...unes/index.php