Roxio - Popcorn 2 Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My apologies if this is not the right place to ask this question, but.... since Toast 7 Titanium came out, it seems to have absorbed all of the differences it had with Popcorn (Toast 7 seems to have all the features of Toast 6 and Popcorn in a single app).

I am looking at Popcorn 2 right now, I can't really see what it does that Toast 7 doesn't already do. What is the purpose of this app and why would anyone want it if they have Toast 7 already?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH

My apologies if this is not the right place to ask this question, but.... since Toast 7 Titanium came out, it seems to have absorbed all of the differences it had with Popcorn (Toast 7 seems to have all the features of Toast 6 and Popcorn in a single app).

I am looking at Popcorn 2 right now, I can't really see what it does that Toast 7 doesn't already do. What is the purpose of this app and why would anyone want it if they have Toast 7 already?

I have Toast 6 (full version) and it doesn't have Popcorn 1 in it. There was a deal offered that had both Toast 6 and Popcorn in one download package, but the Popcorn functionality is not part of Toast 6. I am not sure about Toast 7 and Popcorn 2 but doesn't appear from the Roxio site that they are combined.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

I have Toast 6 (full version) and it doesn't have Popcorn 1 in it. There was a deal offered that had both Toast 6 and Popcorn in one download package, but the Popcorn functionality is not part of Toast 6. I am not sure about Toast 7 and Popcorn 2 but doesn't appear from the Roxio site that they are combined.

Dave

Thanks, and yeah that was Toast 6 and Popcorn 1. Toast 7 has all the DVD burning options integrated into it, that were seperate in Toast 6 and Popcorn 1.

After playing with the app, the only difference I can find are some automated presets for converting vids to PSP and IPod sizes, that's about it. Toast 7 has DiVX support, DVD burning from VOBS, AVI, etc, conversions, etc, all built in.

Popcorn 2 (from what I can see while playing with the app for 20 minutes) seems to be a "light" version of Toast 7, which does nothing except focus on burning DVDs/converting them to other formats. It does not appear to do anything Toast 7 doesn't already integrate into the new app.

Richard
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RichardH

Popcorn 2 (from what I can see while playing with the app for 20 minutes) seems to be a "light" version of Toast 7, which does nothing except focus on burning DVDs/converting them to other formats. It does not appear to do anything Toast 7 doesn't already integrate into the new app.

Richard

I think Popcorn 2 has the ability to compress a dual-layer disc down to a 1 layer disc. I have not found any option to do this in Toast 7.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

I think Popcorn 2 has the ability to compress a dual-layer disc down to a 1 layer disc. I have not found any option to do this in Toast 7.

You can if you just go into the advanced options and set the compression.