HDTVs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anyone see the systm podcast where they made their own cables?

Made me realize that I have better things to do with my time.

Although I liked the tips for laying out and organizing your cables to minimize interference. Also it restored some respect for Monster as long as the situation is one where the quality of the cable matters and the price isn't OTT.

CableWholesale.com! Do it!
  • Reply 42 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

You're never going to buy a new television, admit it.

[drum roll please] Finally ordered a TH-50PHD8UK with a wall mount. I will post updates.

I didn't get any expansion cards yet, as I don't have any DVI/HDMI devices to plug in until the PS3 comes out.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

[drum roll please] Finally ordered a TH-50PHD8UK with a wall mount. I will post updates.

I didn't get any expansion cards yet, as I don't have any DVI/HDMI devices to plug in until the PS3 comes out.

So e, what's the verdict? You've probably had the TV for at least a month by now.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The Panasonic plasmas have received good reviews. I'll tall all what I see when I go to the local Magnolia HiFi store this week.

My wife and I purchased a 42" Panasonic Plasma about 5 months ago and we love it. Our only regret is that we didnt drop the extra grand and get the 50" model. Plasma is the way to go in my opinion.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Actually, being a digital cable the only thing you have to worry about (at all) is signal impedance. The problematic kind is going to come from inductance, which can be cured by either keeping the cable really short or making the wires thicker. The shorter the cable, the less you need to worry about this stuff. Otherwise, just get the cable with the thickest gauge wires you can find. Often, name brands aren't the ones with the thickest wiring. Monster cables tend to have extremely aggressive shielding, which for a digital cable is superfluous, and in fact can be harmful if it causes too much capacitance.

Well there's the Monster cable that comes in plastic packaging and there's still the commercial grade stuff that comes on a spool. But yes, the Monster stuff is generally designed to be flexible, with a braided conductor and very soft dielectric (in the case of coax). And it's still overpriced.

Commscope, Belden, Times-Fiber for all your RG-6 needs. Get a compression crimp tool, cable stripper and some decent Snap N Seal or Digicon connectors. Do it all yourself IMO.

RG-6 can cover all sorts of connectivity...component video, DTV in, digital audio, etc. Always handy to have a spool around.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Whatever you do...do NOT get ED (enhanced deffinition). Its a marketing ploy for saying a shitty product is platinum shitty!

I <3 my HDTV. Super clear. I have a Samsung 32"er
  • Reply 47 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Well there's the Monster cable that comes in plastic packaging and there's still the commercial grade stuff that comes on a spool. But yes, the Monster stuff is generally designed to be flexible, with a braided conductor and very soft dielectric. And it's still overpriced.

Commscope, Belden, Times-Fiber for all your RG-6 needs. Get a compression crimp tool, cable stripper and some decent Snap N Seal or Digicon connectors. Do it all yourself IMO.

Canare makes very nice flexible cable and crimp connectors.

When I was doing more installation work I invested in a crimp tool, set of dies and an "all in one" cable stripper, all designed to work with Canare cable.

The initial outlay was steep, but now I can make a 6' RCA-RCA cable in about 5 minutes for around seven dollars that's as good if not better than the premium $50 ones in individual boxes.

Phone and XLR plugs I solder up using Neutrik connectors.

I keep a spool of coax on hand, so if I ever need something really long I just make it.