Battlefield 2 on Boot Camped Mac Book Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Well thats true, and if you are getting that high performance then it must be the 2GB of ram vs my 1GB of ram. Still seems like a big difference, I will know when I finally upgrade to 2GB.

My avid gamer buddy said that for moddern games, the jump from 1gb to 2 gb is HUGE, particularly if you use AA/AF, he said that the gameplay is smoother at higer antialiusing rates.

HL2 and Doom3 on a 6800gtx/256 and 2gb ram look AWSOME at 1280.1024. Cant speat to the ATI stuff, I dont swing that way for gaming stuff.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I just thought I would let all who are curious know that it is possible to run the settings for battlefield 2 that were posted here. I was an non-believer but I upgraded my ram to 2 GB and I can max everything out now as well on Battlefield 2... and it is playable.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    damn. that is good news. now I have to get a macbook pro.

I wish Apple threw in the Nvidia 7800 GTX mobile version, but it seems like the ATI x1600 is no slouch for game play.

thanks to everyone for checking out how games play on the intel macs
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Hey,

I'm a college student and I'm planning on buying the lower - end Macbook Pro model, which with my Student Developer Connection Discount is about $1,599.

This is actually my first Apple laptop that I'm thinking of purchasing, and I'm wondering that if the laptop customized to the following specifications will be able to run Battlefield 2/Counter Strike/Halo 2/America's Army. I know that the laptop will be able to run the games, but I'm wondering if they'll be playable on at the very least, medium settings:

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache

667MHz frontside bus

1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs

100GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Would the 128MB graphics card be okay for the type of gaming that I'm thinking of, or will I be better off purchasing the higher - end model with the 256MB card?

Also, I've added a 2x512 variation instead of a single 1GB RAM chip in order to save a bit of money. I know purchasing RAM directly from Apple isn't the best idea of saving money, but I don't want to open up the laptop and replace the memory myself, though I know how easy it is to do. Will having a 2x512 variation show different performance compared to if I only had one single 1GB RAM chip?

AppleInsider reported earlier that a new Macbook Pro 17" is going to be introduced soon, perhaps next week, and a friend of mine said the price of the Macbook Pro 17" would logically be about $2,500, as with the PowerPC G4 version of the Powerbook line. Therefore, he said, it would lower the price of the other Macbook Pro's. Does this seem logical? I'm not really sure, lol, I've only been using Apple for a few years

Oh, and when might Intel roll out a 64 bit processor? I don't wanna spend so much money on a laptop when a 64bit version comes out a few months later lol
  • Reply 25 of 27
    2GB RAM and a 256MB card is going to be what you're looking for, but that config will play everything on Low-med.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Half-Life looks great!

Your video looks a little like this posted on Cabel Sasser's site (Co-Founder of Panic).
  • Reply 27 of 27
    wow the graphics on the iMac are great, and that's just with a 128MB VRAM Card