PiperJaffray updates expectations for future Apple products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Yeah, something like the HTC 6700, as I mentioned.

Picture a bigger screen, and Apple's colors.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/zoom.php?p=808&g=1
  • Reply 22 of 47
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Wow your right! Just find some way to make the antenna stub internal and make it apple white and or/mbp aluminum with OSX lite and we're in business.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Oh, the video iPod with phone capability, PDA capability, iCal integration, OSX, amazing memory, unlimited functionality is coming alright, and soon, you may rest assured.

How, you might ask, do I know?

The Proof: For a week I have been the owner of a Verizon/Treo650. I'm locked in (by way of a painful premature disconnect fee) to the 650 for 2 years.

Finally pushed the button after waiting for the Apple Etcetera. The sun will come up tomorrow. Death. Taxes. The Apple Etcetera. My kids get my Treo650. I get an Apple Etcetera.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Oh, the video iPod with phone capability, PDA capability, iCal integration, OSX, amazing memory, unlimited functionality is coming alright, and soon, you may rest assured.

How, you might ask, do I know?

The Proof: For a week I have been the owner of a Verizon/Treo650. I'm locked in (by way of a painful premature disconnect fee) to the 650 for 2 years.

Finally pushed the button after waiting for the Apple Etcetera. The sun will come up tomorrow. Death. Taxes. The Apple Etcetera. My kids get my Treo650. I get an Apple Etcetera.

V/R,

Aries 1B

It's all very frustrating. My Samsung i330 is a very good machine, but it is very outdated. I was waiting for the New i550 which was a tremendous machine, but after being 8 months behind schedule, it was canceled, no reason given.

I almost bought the HTC 6700, but came to my senses when Palm said that they would announce a Treo 700p during the first half of this year.

I hope that it does come out. Otherwise the above design with OS X would be prefered, but, it's not likely that we'll see something like it anytime soon.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

That thing is a brick.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member

Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That thing is a brick.

I like the term 'Block of ice-cream'
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That thing is a brick.

It's not. It's almost the exact size as the Treo .I have held it, and used it. If you compare the size and weight to the treo, you will be surprised.

I hope this link works. It shows the two phones side by side with the specs.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/com...8&id%5B%5D=811
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The major issue here is that these movies will take up huge amounts of storage space, I'm not sure how Apple will deal with this. A hard drive with more than 60 GB of storage space will help, but for something like this to succeed, it might require a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD burner in the Power Macs to help store downloads.

Why would you need to store those movies locally? Internet has in some places long been fast enough to stream movies, and the rest of the civilized world is soon to follow, just make it so that, when I purchase something it stays in my account, and I can watch it over the net when ever I want and how many times I want. With some caching and bittorrent kind of technologies even the servers bandwidth problems should be fairly easy to overcome.

There should also be option to put them to iPod. 80gig iPod is enough, when one movie is around 9gigs(dvd) so 10 movies on go should be enough for most users.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

What's with the antenna????? In europe cell phones haven't had antennas for many years now, plus that thing looks really cheap. I current have nokia 9300 and I'm loving it, if that sketch was ever released with proper OS I might think of changing, but with those pathetic toys no way.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

What's with the antenna????? In europe cell phones haven't had antennas for many years now, plus that thing looks really cheap. I current have nokia 9300 and I'm loving it, if that sketch was ever released with proper OS I might think of changing, but with those pathetic toys no way.

That's an interesting question.

People prefer phones without external antennas. That's why we've been seeing more of them. But, it's been shown pretty conclusively, that standard extendable antennas deliver the best signal. The next best are the stubbs. The worst reception is with internal antennas.

And, if you say that your phone works fine with an internal antenna, think of how much better it would work with an external one.

You certainly can't tell how cheap something is from such small pictures. In the "flesh" so to speak, they are not cheap at all.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm all for the Video iPod in whatever future form factor, from a shareholder perspective, however could they build into the device a "motion sensor" that keeps the device from activating the video if it knows its rate of movement/displacement is beyond a certain threshold, ala riding a bike, jogging or whatever; and by knowing this makes it a "safe video" device?

That way we don't need to read about the moron who caused a five car pileup because he was too busy watching his video iPod while driving down I-5, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

I'm all for the Video iPod in whatever future form factor, from a shareholder perspective, however could they build into the device a "motion sensor" that keeps the device from activating the video if it knows its rate of movement/displacement is beyond a certain threshold, ala riding a bike, jogging or whatever; and by knowing this makes it a "safe video" device?

That way we don't need to read about the moron who caused a five car pileup because he was too busy watching his video iPod while driving down I-5, etc.

For publicity purposes, that might be a good idea. But, what happens to the kid in the back seat of mommy's car? Everytime she starts or stops, the video would go off. Very annoying.

I just think that we have to trust that people aren't THAT stupid, that they would be watching a tv show while riding their bike.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I rather have a DVR solution that can integrate my songs, photos and videos with my entertainment system. That will be a killer market for Apple.

I couldn't agree more. I've been experimenting with various third-party boxes and am quite disappointed. I've looked at Elgato's EyeHome, but it doesn't support hardware upscaling. I bought a Snazzio Net Cinema HD and it's a piece of junk. I'm returning it and will next try the new JVC SRDVD-100U. It looks promising.

Apple needs to produce a simple, elegant media bridge that integrates with one's iTunes and iPhoto libraries. It should be capable of playing VOB files, Transport Stream files, and DVD image files. They should also integrate movies into iTunes (or create a new "iVideo" - I know, the name is already taken - app) and allow the user to add metadata such as actor, director, year, etc. When accessing video, one should be able to view by title, actor, director, etc...much like the iPod/iTunes view.

This would be the KILLER app.

Forget DVR - unless they can add CableCard support. Otherwise it's pretty useless. But a simple, elegant, and WORKING network media player would be huge.

Apple, are you listening???

-Rob
  • Reply 34 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

For publicity purposes, that might be a good idea. But, what happens to the kid in the back seat of mommy's car? Everytime she starts or stops, the video would go off. Very annoying.

I just think that we have to trust that people aren't THAT stupid, that they would be watching a tv show while riding their bike.

That's what preferences are for, correct?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

That's what preferences are for, correct?

But you negate the entire concept once you put preferences in, don't you?

That same idiot who WILL watch while riding a bike will simply set the prefs to allow himself to do so.

It's why Apple has set maximum volume in its European iPods, as the law there specs. After all, any intellegent person will NEVER set the volume too high, right?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I want cool tools for my achitect's office?

I want a 8" UMPC-type device for network admin & all around coolness?

I want a 13.3" touchscreen tablet with the horsepower to run the ArchiOffice/FileMaker Pro database client, Mail, iTunes, Safari, iChat, iCal, Address Book, Preview, Word, Excel & a few CAD/design programs (VectorWorks & SketchUp)? I also want this tablet to be dockable with a 23" ACD? Database frontend on the tablet (touchscreen navigation) and everything else on the 23" ACD?

I want the same for my principals, but with 17" touchscreen tablets & 30" ACDs? Same horsepower & docking requirements?

I want a stack of Mac minis & FW400 HDDs for servers (database, file/print, email, web, etc.) ?

Yeah, real Apple servers would be great, but they cost WAY to much?!

Is that asking to much??!?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I want cool tools for my achitect's office?

I want a 8" UMPC-type device for network admin & all around coolness?

I want a 13.3" touchscreen tablet with the horsepower to run the ArchiOffice/FileMaker Pro database client, Mail, iTunes, Safari, iCal, Address Book, Preview, Word, Excel & a few CAD/design programs (VectorWorks & SketchUp)? I also want this tablet to be dockable with a 23" ACD? Database frontend on the tablet (touchscreen navigation) and everything else on the 23" ACD?

I want the same for my principals, but with 17" touchscreen tablets & 30" ACDs? Same horsepower & docking requirements?

I want a stack of Mac minis & FW400 HDDs for servers (Database, file/print, email, web, Open Dirctory, etc. ?

Yeah, real Apple servers would be great, but they cost WAY to much?!

Is that asking to much??!?

Come back again in 5 years, and you'll have them!
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Come back again in 5 years, and you'll have them!

I would actually expect to see this within two years?

And please, don't be a naysayer?

(damned negative vibes, putting bad energy out to the universe, frackin' with the RDF?)

;^p
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I would actually expect to see this within two years?

And please, don't be a naysayer?

(damned negative vibes, putting bad energy out to the univers, frackin' with the RDF?)

;^p

Better to be conservative. That way it's less likely that you will be disappointed. Remember 3GHz? How long did we wait for that?

Oh, we're still waiting.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Better to be conservative. That way it's less likely that you will be disappointed. Remember 3GHz? How long did we wait for that?

Oh, we're still waiting.

How come I only notice my spelling errors after you have quoted me??!?