Reason to keep old iPod updaters?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I recently was looking through Add/Remove programs, seeing what I could delete, and I came across 4 old iPod updaters, totalling nearly 3/4 of a gigabyte. That's a lot of space to be used for things I don't use. Is it okay to delete them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by chocolatedude

I recently was looking through Add/Remove programs, seeing what I could delete, and I came across 4 old iPod updaters, totalling nearly 3/4 of a gigabyte. That's a lot of space to be used for things I don't use. Is it okay to delete them?

If you don't have an iPod, sure ... trash them. All they do is update the software on the iPod itself. If you do, you might want to keep the latest version just in case you need to restore the iPod for any reason.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

If you don't have an iPod, sure ... trash them. All they do is update the software on the iPod itself. If you do, you might want to keep the latest version just in case you need to restore the iPod for any reason.

I do have an iPod, but I can dispose of the August 2005 one?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

But I can dispose of the August 2005 one?

Yeah ... I think the newest one is iPod Updater 2006-3-23, so if you have any before then it's safe to get rid of them if you have an iPod. If you do not have an iPod, deleting them won't hurt a thing...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I keep a few of the older versions just in case Apple changes something that I don't like. When Apple updated the nano and 5G firmwares, they supposedly removed the ability to hold down the menu key to turn on and off the backlight and added some playback issues with some audio and some video.

For a while, I had to use a pre-podcast firmware for my 4G because it kept crashing when it sleeps when paused on bookmarkable tracks.

iPod updaters only take 50MB-80MB a piece, I don't see how four of them take 3/4 of a gigabyte, it would be closer to 1/4th of a gig.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I keep a few of the older versions just in case Apple changes something that I don't like. When Apple updated the nano and 5G firmwares, they supposedly removed the ability to hold down the menu key to turn on and off the backlight and added some playback issues with some audio and some video.

For a while, I had to use a pre-podcast firmware for my 4G because it kept crashing when it sleeps when paused on bookmarkable tracks.

iPod updaters only take 50MB-80MB a piece, I don't see how four of them take 3/4 of a gigabyte, it would be closer to 1/4th of a gig.

Okay, thanks. However, mine do take 3/4 of a gig. The smallest is 180 mb, the largest is 260.

Also, I was playing with a 5G at an apple store yesterday (I have 4G, soon to get 5G), and I saw that holding the menu key does NOT turn on and off the backlight! What's going on?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Okay, thanks. However, mine do take 3/4 of a gig. The smallest is 180 mb, the largest is 260.

Odd. They are nowhere nearly that large when downloaded.

Quote:

I saw that holding the menu key does NOT turn on and off the backlight! What's going on?

Apple changed that behavior with the 1.1 firmware for the 5G and nano.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

[B]Odd. They are nowhere nearly that large when downloaded.

Apple changed that behavior with the 1.1 firmware for the 5G and nano.

The file size surprised me, too. I'm on Windows, if that makes a difference.

The menu/backlight is unfortunate, why did they change it??
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

The file size surprised me, too. I'm on Windows, if that makes a difference.

The menu/backlight is unfortunate, why did they change it??

The Windows version of Apple software is usually smaller than the Mac version, so that surprises me.

I don't know why they changed the backlight behavior.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

The Windows version of Apple software is usually smaller than the Mac version, so that surprises me.

I don't know why they changed the backlight behavior.

Have they changed anything crucial since Version 1 for the video? I really like holding menu for the backlight.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Have they changed anything crucial since Version 1 for the video? I really like holding menu for the backlight.

I think 1.1 added support for that FM tuner add-on and the iPod boom box. If you don't care for those, then sticking with 1.0 is the way to go.