Family Guy or The Simpsons?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I definitely prefer Family Guy; its nonlinear and spontaneous story line, full of flashbacks, stupid jokes, and breaking the fourth wall, is so much funnier and engaging than the plodding and tedious Simpsons storylines. The commentary on current events and pop culture is much more prevalent and insightful in Family Guy, and I overall relate to its characters better.

What's your opinion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Family Guy is great for an unexpected trip on Saturday night. I feel Simpsons has a better thought out script and enjoy that just as much.

But Family Guy gets a strike against it for all the sexual content. I view the writers use sex as a replacement for actual substance and those episodes rank poorly IMO. I feel pre-canceled episodes are more creative with 2 hilarious exceptions.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If the South Park satire of family guy is any indication of how the show is I would say they are pretty much equal.

If not then my response it ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIKKING MIND? THE SIMPSONS HAVE BEEN SUCKING FOR AT LEAST FIVE YEARS. NOTHING IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION BEFORE OR AFTER IN ALL OF TIMES HAVE BEEN/WILL BE WORSE THAN THAN PILE OF MANURE
  • Reply 3 of 36
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

If the South Park satire of family guy is any indication of how the show is I would say they are pretty much equal.

If not then my response it ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIKKING MIND? THE SIMPSONS HAVE BEEN SUCKING FOR AT LEAST FIVE YEARS. NOTHING IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION BEFORE OR AFTER IN ALL OF TIMES HAVE BEEN/WILL BE WORSE THAN THAN PILE OF MANURE

We arn't nessesarily talking about Family Guy or Simpsons NOW.

As far as simpsons, family guy, and south park, they are very much alike in two ways:

1) Character development & subsequent "inside jokes"

2) Immediate plot development and entertainment for each episode.

3) Humorous portrayal of real current events and pop culture and how it affects us.

As far as the 1st regard, family guy lacks, except for in my opinion stewy, where simpsons excels. As far as the second regard, family guy may win over simpsons SOME of the time. As far as the third regard, south park wins, followed by Simpsons and Family Guy. Family Guy tends to address issues that we as americans have within the family and every day life, whereas simpsons generally (but not always) addresses a less personal, more community/global issues.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Family Guy is great for an unexpected trip on Saturday night. I feel Simpsons has a better thought out script and enjoy that just as much.

But Family Guy gets a strike against it for all the sexual content. I view the writers use sex as a replacement for actual substance and those episodes rank poorly IMO. I feel pre-canceled episodes are more creative with 2 hilarious exceptions.

I tend to agree with you, with one exception.... The side boob hour. Freaking hilarious!

"You like that side boob? We'll you shouldn't, because that's MY side boob..."

comedy gold!

The Simpsons and Family Guy are two very different shows, and I like them both.

The Simpsons had a few years (like 99-02) that were none too good, but I think they've rallied since then.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    South Park is the dumbest, most unfunny show on television. That said, I love Family Guy and The Simpsons-- the early years at least.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, I enjoy some of the stuff in South Park, but overall I find that it succumbs to the same plot tedium that The Simpsons does despite its over-the-top explicitness. Family Guy for me is the happy medium between South Park and The Simpsons.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I'll take the Simpsons, pre 2000. I find the new episodes to be rather lacking.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I used to love South Park but recently (the past 2-3 years) they have really let me down. They think they're so cutting edge, when in reality they only go after and pick on the easy targets (catholics, scientology, hollywood, jews, fat people, enviromentalists, PETA, etc.) and pretending to be the victim when CC censors their shows. You almost never see a politically relevent show picking on some gross corruption unless it personally affects them. I think they are fraidy cats. Yup, I said it: Fraidy cats.

When they are not trying to push some lame libertarian agenda, it's pretty funny though. For what it is; a 'fart joke' show.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    I love South Park. I think it's very funny.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm just glad Kenny is back.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Come on, all the cool kids are watching Wonder Showzen now.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Come on, all the cool kids are watching Wonder Showzen now.

smash your tv and have adventures.

(wonder showzen is awesome for the excessively cannabissed. SP, simpsons and FG are all enjoyable sober.)
  • Reply 13 of 36
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

smash your tv and have adventures.

Aha! An error in your logic! If we smash the TV first, we can't tune to the Travel channel to see where we should go.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    kids on the beat

kids on the street

beat kids

beat kids!
  • Reply 15 of 36
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

kids on the beat

kids on the street

beat kids

beat kids!

• Reply 16 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    "The Simpsons" is a television legacy, and is a pretty solid show, but has lost all of the edge that used to make it great. I feel like it is being written by women, which for some reason is so often a recipe for disaster.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

"I feel like it is being written by women, which for some reason is so often a recipe for disaster.

Your wife must be out of the room.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

When they are not trying to push some lame libertarian agenda, it's pretty funny though. For what it is; a 'fart joke' show.

Sounds to me like you just don't like libertarians.

Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Your wife must be out of the room.

Wife?

• Reply 19 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Sounds to me like you just don't like libertarians.

Wife?

Personally, I have more trouble with people who call themselves libertarians but somehow come off as right wing apologists, which is where "South Park" loses me (although I think it can be screamingly funny at its best).

The "pussy/dick/asshole" speech in "Team America" made it clear that Messrs. Parker and Stone save most of their contempt for those they consider "pussies", which they define like a 12 year old boy-- anyone that acts like a "girl", which, as we all know, is a characterization that is pretty much interchangeable with the current right wing take on "liberals".

So these particular "libertarians" have no use for anyone who is "emotional", anyone who appears "thoughtful", anyone who advocates for something other than short term gratification, and, most importantly, anyone who tells me what I can and cannot do.

Their self-regard as fearless iconoclasts would seem a lot more convincing if so many of their targets weren't relatively powerless and they had a taste for going after the people with some actual clout.

But the people currently with clout tend to be a bit thuggish so that, again like a 12 year old boy, they can't help but sorta dig it. A bad ass is always cooler than, say, a social worker, but that distinction doesn't really make for the scathing satire.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I think it was during the 2004 elections that I noticed the "South Park conservative" moniker being self-applied. My oldest brother said something along those lines.

I would say the only truly valuable message to get from South Park is that nothing is sacred. Beyond that it is pretty obvious that they are well right of center.

Also, the "libertarian" distinction is meaningless. If you call yourself "libertarian" you either don't really agree with the big tenets or you're a monster. It's nothing more than a haven for "legalize it"s and disgruntled conservatives.