HELP! My Computer Screen Is Almost Invisble!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am using a 17" iMac G4 with OS X 10.4.5

Currently I'm writing this with a lamp right up close to teh screen so I can (barely) see what I'm writing.

My computer screen last night went completely black. It is not asleep and the brightness is all the way up to full. My screen is practically invisible.

I've tried restarting my computer several times, shutting it down and starting it up again several times, and nothing has made teh screen go back to normal.

This has happened before, but it was quite some time ago and I can't remeber what, if anything that I did to make teh screen go back to normal.

If there wasn't an external lamp being held up close beside the screen, the screen would be a flat black and appear as though the computer were off.

PLEASE HELP!

Without taking it into a Mac retailer/servicer to get it fixed, what, if anything could you suggest that I do to try to fix the screen?!

ps. if I mispekt a lot of words in this message it's because I am writing while looking at a flat black screen with nothing visible except for a really dim Apple Insider text box.

HELP!

:'(

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Sounds like the backlight might be toast... not enough information to be sure, but that fits the symptoms.

Try moving the arm/screen to different angles and see if any permutations of arm/screen bring the image back... if so, it might be a bad cable (which is a cheaper fix)... if no variant brings any joy it might be a bad backlight (or totally severed backlight connector) which might be more $$.

None of the above are user serviceable, so you're looking at a repair either way... it just depends what it'll cost.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What 'burb said, and:

Smack it a good one with the palm of your hand. If the screen flickers, you've got a cabling issue.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    It was the screens Inverter Board that broke and needed to be replaced.