The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 341 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

What you're describing is not a Cube but a Shuttle, but perhaps a bit larger for two HDDs and two graphics card slots. The Shuttle form-factor is great - I've got two of them. As for the dual HDDs and SLI, very few consumers use more than one HDD, and SLI is of interest to virtually nobody (fewer than .001% of computer users). Shuttle's been making machines for years, and they don't appear to have had much demand for either feature.

I doubt Apple will make such a machine. They are concentrating on what sells right now, and that's notebooks and iMacs. They do need a headless machine, and far and away the most popular type of headless machine these days is a standard minitower, so that's what I'd expect.

The difference between what Apple has access to now vs what they had access to before, could herald a difference in their plans.

Previously, they had a rather stark choice. A G4, fast becoming obsolete, and the G5 pretty fast, but slightly behind the Xeon, and further behind the Opteron, because of lack of development.

Now, they have access to a number of chip families.

This can lead to a change in thinking at Apple. With everything from ultra low voltage single core portable chips, to high end dual, and shortly after, four core monsters, Apple can finally design machines that they simply couldn't before.

I don't think that we should rule anything out anymore. There is no reason why Apple must stay within the boundaries it's been restricted to previously.

With the market now opened up to the PC world as well, where people are used to seeing a larger number of models, Apple could greatly benefit by taking advantage of the opportunity to cater to more groups that it has been able to before.

If you look at the catalogs of the largest manufacturers, you will see that they have quite a few more models than Apple has. While I'm not saying that they should go wild here, I am saying that another line in the desktop area, and another line in the portable area wouldn't hurt, and would be beneficial to those who just don't find Apple's current offerings appealing.
  • Reply 342 of 946
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

While I'm not saying that they should go wild here, I am saying that another line in the desktop area, and another line in the portable area wouldn't hurt, and would be beneficial to those who just don't find Apple's current offerings appealing.

AHMEN.
  • Reply 343 of 946
    Another link. Interesting performance comparisons here. Of course, they are from Intel, but still...

I ignore the ViiV stuff, as it doesn't pertain to us.

The Woodcrest info is at the bottom.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31341
  • Reply 344 of 946
    If anyone would like to read a good article about Intel, which inckludes shipping dates for the chip families, this will be helpful.

Way at the bottom is an interesting statement that by the end of next year the costs of dual core will reach the prices as single core.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31316
  • Reply 345 of 946
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Sorry onlooker, I don't mean to nitpick here, but I thought you ought to know that the Woodcrest is approx 112.5% less than Paxville

Math for it: ((A - B) / B) where A= Paxville and B=Woodcrest.

I know, I know, now I am just nitpicking.... But hey, which sounds better??

It should be ((A-B)/A). You can't use 113% less unless you are using some weird power generating CPU
  • Reply 346 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

It should be ((A-B)/A). You can't use 113% less unless you are using some weird power generating CPU

Unless, oh, he means an increase over another chip?
  • Reply 347 of 946
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You can never be over 100% less than something unless you can go negative, which would be impossible for power consumption. He said less, he meant less, he just made a simple mathematical error.

That said there's something to be said for checking your maths by considering the feasibility of the answer you output. In this day and age it is scary how many young engineers have learnt to plug numbers into a program and have no thought about what the output number really implies. That's completely unrelated though
  • Reply 348 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Sorry onlooker, I don't mean to nitpick here, but I thought you ought to know that the Woodcrest is approx 112.5% less than Paxville

Math for it: ((A - B) / B) where A= Paxville and B=Woodcrest.

I know, I know, now I am just nitpicking.... But hey, which sounds better??

I didn't do the Math.

I actually copy, and pasted that from one of the the articles I was scourning the web for. I think it was intels CFO's math. Not sure though.
  • Reply 349 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You can never be over 100% less than something unless you can go negative, which would be impossible for power consumption. He said less, he meant less, he just made a simple mathematical error.

Well, maybe if Chip B uses 200% more power than Chip A, you could say that Chip C uses 130% less power than Chip B, in terms of A.
  • Reply 350 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Well, maybe if Chip B uses 200% more power than Chip A, you could say that Chip C uses 130% less power than Chip B, in terms of A.

You can say that. It's just confusing to most people, but it would be correct technically.
  • Reply 351 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Who gives a crap about the math anyway. WWDC is early August. (AUG. 7 - 11)

intel is shopping Woodcrest in June, Conroe July, and Merom in August.

I think The PowerMac may come out before WWDC. Maybe a few products before WWDC.

SIGGRAPH conference is JULY 30th - AUGUST 3RD, and Apple is exibiting.

SIGGRAPH Exhibitor Directory:

Apple Computer, Inc.

Apple Computer, Inc.

1 Infinite Loop

Cupertino, California 95014 USA

+1.408.974.6617 Phone

Fax

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is widely recognized for its innovative and award-winning Mac desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife digital lifestyle and professional applications. Apple is also leading the digital music revolution with its market-leading iPod line of portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Categories

3D Graphics

Animation

Authoring Software

Desktop Video Production Software

Digital Imaging

Multimedia Tools and Applications

Rendering and Modeling

Visual Effects Software

Monitors and Displays
  • Reply 352 of 946
    If Woodcrest is SHIPPING in June, then I would expect to see the Mac Pro Towers announced late May/early June. Apple isn't going to want to sit on them for 2 months (announce 7th august shp immediately) now are they? Even Siggraph is too late.

They were the first computer manufacturer shipping Core Duo (in the iMac) I bet they will want to be the first to ship Woodcrest too.
  • Reply 354 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Who gives a crap about the math anyway. WWDC is early August. (AUG. 7 - 11)

intel is shopping Woodcrest in June, Conroe July, and Merom in August.

I think The PowerMac may come out before WWDC. Maybe a few products before WWDC.

SIGGRAPH conference is JULY 30th - AUGUST 3RD, and Apple is exibiting.

SIGGRAPH Exhibitor Directory:

Apple Computer, Inc.

Apple Computer, Inc.

1 Infinite Loop

Cupertino, California 95014 USA

+1.408.974.6617 Phone

Fax

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is widely recognized for its innovative and award-winning Mac desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife digital lifestyle and professional applications. Apple is also leading the digital music revolution with its market-leading iPod line of portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Categories

3D Graphics

Animation

Authoring Software

Desktop Video Production Software

Digital Imaging

Multimedia Tools and Applications

Rendering and Modeling

Visual Effects Software

Monitors and Displays

Let's not demean our elementary education in arithmetic.

But, I can't see Apple waiting if the chips are out. Other manufacturers won't wait. If Apple won't take the chips, they will.

We shouldn't forget what happened with the Yonah. Apple had the first shipping in quantity machines with the iMac. In fact, I read that some other companies were complaining that Apple got first dibs.

It could happen again. I'm sure that Jobs wants to get this over with as soon as possible.

We might also remember the rumors about Apple trying to get Intel to release this new series early. Perhaps the rush is partly due to that pressure after all.
  • Reply 355 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

If Woodcrest is SHIPPING in June, then I would expect to see the Mac Pro Towers announced late May/early June. Apple isn't going to want to sit on them for 2 months (announce 7th august shp immediately) now are they? Even Siggraph is too late.

They were the first computer manufacturer shipping Core Duo (in the iMac) I bet they will want to be the first to ship Woodcrest too.

Apple may not want to announce until they have sufficient quantities on hand.

They have learned something from the G5 iMac fiasco. Remember that one?
  • Reply 356 of 946

That site is masturbation for the guy who writes the stuff.
  • Reply 357 of 946
    I frankly think that Apple should announce the Mac Pro whether they're going to ship it the same month or not, and then accept preorders. That way they can ship it any time they practically want without disappointing people, and perhaps also offer the Powermac G5s at wholesale prices at the same time so those can be cleared out before the Mac Pros actually hit production.
  • Reply 358 of 946
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Argh, I want it! The latest I heard was that it would likely ship, with the Conroe processor, in the third quarter of 2006. I'd guess that it would mirror the Powermac G5 introduction three years ago, where it's announced at WWDC and then the higher-end configurations start shipping en masse by November.

Has anybody heard any other interesting tidbits?

i thought you were going to switch to windows/linux..

maybe boot camp changed your mind..

no really!

• Reply 359 of 946
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

I frankly think that Apple should announce the Mac Pro whether they're going to ship it the same month or not, and then accept preorders. That way they can ship it any time they practically want without disappointing people, and perhaps also offer the Powermac G5s at wholesale prices at the same time so those can be cleared out before the Mac Pros actually hit production.

Wholesale? Wholesale?!
  • Reply 360 of 946
    Anand did a good analysis of Core vs netburst vs K8, with pleasing conclusions.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2748&p=1