New Mac TV ads?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

ROFLMAO I haven't seen the word "scrotum" used much on these boards for quite a while

Good word
  • Reply 62 of 110
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    These ads are great- Come on lets admit it, we all want to rub it in the faces of PC users anyway! Why not let a TV ad do it instead, that way Windows users will see it's not just us that think Macs are the best thing since sliced bread! (or the wheel)

BENj
  • Reply 63 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenJ

These ads are great- Come on lets admit it, we all want to rub it in the faces of PC users anyway! Why not let a TV ad do it instead, that way Windows users will see it's not just us that think Macs are the best thing since sliced bread! (or the wheel)

BENj

Hear hear
  • Reply 64 of 110
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenJ

BENj

That makes as much sense as this thing is large.

• Reply 65 of 110
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Hmm... I'm a bit ambivalent about these ads. They still seem kinda "snooty" They don't seem to be memorable at all. It's like, okay, two guys talking. "Yeah, Macs are great". Okay, so the casual-wear young dude says Macs are cool. Okay, so...... I think viewers really need more information than just these "conversations".

IMHO I'm quite dissapointed with these ads. It just extends from someone that uses PCs always hearing from their friend how Macs are better, and the PC user going, okay okay enough with the telling me "Macs are better". Actually bloody SHOW me HOW and WHY. These ads are too abstract.

I also agree. If you are really better, then you don't have to shove the other guy down. Just something I learned back in kindergarten. Humility!

They need something with Keiffer Sutherland narrating and a few transitions between shorts showing the software that is better...

"Your iPod... your music on iTunes... your music in your homemade movie in iMovie, using your photos form iPhoto, seamlessly... your movie on your iPod... they all work together, seamlessly, on a Mac."
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

I also agree. If you are really better, then you don't have to shove the other guy down. Just something I learned back in kindergarten. Humility!

They need something with Keiffer Sutherland narrating and a few transitions between shorts showing the software that is better...

"Your iPod... your music on iTunes... your music in your homemade movie in iMovie, using your photos form iPhoto, seamlessly... your movie on your iPod... they all work together, seamlessly, on a Mac."

Well, if they had done a boring ad like everyone else, which featured the product with a voice over, we would all be complaining that it was boring and very un-Apple.

When I'm watching TV, like most people, I only pay attention to a well written, clever, or unique commercial. Sure, a boring commercial would have been more informative, but less people would pay attention to it.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david christ superstar

Well, if they had done a boring ad like everyone else, which featured the product with a voice over, we would all be complaining that it was boring and very un-Apple.

When I'm watching TV, like most people, I only pay attention to a well written, clever, or unique commercial. Sure, a boring commercial would have been more informative, but less people would pay attention to it.

I suppose since they are using someone from the Daily Show (it's been noted) there should be immediate recognition of humor with viewers. Maybe I'm just one among the 200+ million Americans who don't watch the Daily Show, but I don't think the ads are really THAT funny. Additionally, they seem to be going backwards in terms of "welcoming" the PC community. Not too excited about these new ads.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Apple needs a gekko in their ads.

*Runs*
  • Reply 69 of 110
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think these ads will do well, especially since they play off each other. When they start you don't know if its a new one or an old one, but either way they are personable and amusing enough to watch.

A technical video actually showing people using computers would be boring, hard to read/comprehend, and would blend in with all the web ads already on TV.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    i lob the ads

im slowly being bought to the mac idea
  • Reply 71 of 110
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Apple needs a gekko in their ads.

*Runs*

...and don't forget to hide.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    WHile we Apple fans might enjoy watching these ads and agreeing with them, for mainstream Joe Average and Jane, they are likley to be ignored.

Perhaps I have been in Japan for too long, where only politicians can get away with such crap (everyone just ignores them anyway; the UK also bans such ads, I think, with good reason), but I just think that putting down your competition is not the way to sell your own product. It is extremely low class in my book and I do not think that it will help Apple sell Macs. The Switch campaign did not do very much, so why should this?

Try this:

The car you drive comes with lots of problems. It stalls. It is a death trap in an accident. It drinks gas like a thirsty elephant. Buy a Volvo.

How likely would you be to run out and buy a Volvo with this ad? Highly unlikely because your entire reality has been shaken and attacked.

If you cannot sell a product based on its merits alone, you should find another line of work.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    I think another target of these ads are iPod users who use PCs. They're already Apple customers, they just haven't been motivated to check out Apple computers. Note how an iPod is used by the "PC" in one of the ads?

These ads could be considered reinforcement for the "halo effect."
  • Reply 74 of 110
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

I think another target of these ads are iPod users who use PCs. They're already Apple customers, they just haven't been motivated to check out Apple computers. Note how an iPod is used by the "PC" in one of the ads?

These ads could be considered reinforcement for the "halo effect."

These ads do nothing to reinforce the elusive "halo effect". There's no real measurable benefit in the scruffy-looking Mac vs. the buttoned-down PC for the hardcore PC user. These ads are obviously targeting either high-school or college aged potential computer buyers. I can't imagine them appealing to many other segments of our population. Still strikes me as a very weak effort on Apple's part.

I think I would have preferrred having a series of very funny stand up comedians acting like Mac/PC with all market segments being hit. Different comedians for different tasks... coulda been golden, boy! Golden!
  • Reply 75 of 110
    hmm

i was watching the 'Better' ad (again and again), and it occurred to me that apple is in fact trying to carve a niche (if it's not already carved) to be the computer everyone goes home to. the mac admits that pc's are better with spreadsheet and stuff, and that probably links back to work, but mac asserts himself to be better in lifestyle, the computer everyone goes home to.

so instead of trying to convert people into switchers, i think they're trying to create a mindset, that pc's for work, and apple's for everything else.
  • Reply 76 of 110
    When checking these commercials out on the Apple website (in Safari on an iMac G5), the videos are jerky, cause my browser to hang, eventually crashing it. When selecting a commercial, the audio from the previous commercial continues to play.

Ironic considering the content of the commercials.

Oh well.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Perhaps I have been in Japan for too long, where only politicians can get away with such crap

I don't see any rudness, put downs nor low class remarks in any of the ads. I see a playful dialog taking place. So... what such crap are you specifically referring to? Seems to me, by your viewpoint, one should be apologetic about having a good product, in other words, one needs to be "polite" towards the competition. Life is a game, get over it, pick a side and start playing it. Oh wait, I get it, you are on the other side. Silly me.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

says the "man" with only 500 post more!

It's not about posts - it's about join date.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by iPeon

I don't see any rudness, put downs nor low class remarks in any of the ads. I see a playful dialog taking place. So... what such crap are you specifically referring to?....

The Mac dude says that PCs have great apps like Clock and Calculator...or something like that. That's just downright insulting to PC users. There are a lot more PC apps right out of the box. Granted, it's mostly rubbish, but saying just Clock and Calculator, it's a bit much. It's just putting down the PC rather than actually somehow coherently comparing PC and Mac software that's available for different things.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by dysfunctiotnal

hmm....so instead of trying to convert people into switchers, i think they're trying to create a mindset, that pc's for work, and apple's for everything else...

yup, that seems to be the message and target market Apple is going for. Presenting the PC user as a "boring business" type person and the Mac as a "supposedly cool, chilled out" person clearly denotes Apple is totally not interested, and additionally is actively pushing away the business market (that is, those businesses in which people don't wear jeans and t-shirts to work)

how many workplaces let you come in to work looking like the Mac dude