Configuration for MBP 17" and Applecare

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I think I'll be buying a MBP 17" later this week despite concerns of issues with the computer. I have two questions I'd love some information/advice on.

1) I'm going to be using my comp primarily for school and web design. I'm gonna get the 2GB RAM upgrade, but don't know what to do about the hard drive. I'd like extra space, but having things clip along a little faster me make things a little nicer. Is the difference between a 7200 and 5400 HD noticeable? Is it worth sacrificing the extra 20 GB of space for the improved performance? I have and external HD, so I don't absolutely need the extra space.

2) Has anyone had experience with Apple Care? It is worth the extra $300? I think I'll probably get it considering the issues with the new comps, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has had such experience.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    slilockslilock Posts: 1member
    Always buy AppleCare when buying a Apple laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSardine

I think I'll be buying a MBP 17" later this week despite concerns of issues with the computer. I have two questions I'd love some information/advice on.

1) Is the difference between a 7200 and 5400 HD noticeable? Is it worth sacrificing the extra 20 GB of space for the improved performance?

First of all, you're absolutely doing the right thing with regards to the 2GB of RAM. Good move.

The 7200rpm drive will be noticeably faster.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yeah I am buying a 15" next week for sure. I also do web design and a lot of print work (PS, Illustrator, C4D, that kind of stuff). I just don't know what to do with not having CS AND Studio (with Flash ect.). I'm forced to install Boot Camp, but then what's the point of having the MBP? I too was questioning getting the apple care plan, but with my student discount it comes out to about 250 or something like that. I guess I'll just cough up the extra money. Sh!t im already spending a fcuk load of money, what's an extra 250 at this point? lol I just hope the laptop is worth it, and I hope that Adobe releases the universal apps before they are suposed to. I don't know if I can wait till next summer!!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

Yeah I am buying a 15" next week for sure. I also do web design and a lot of print work (PS, Illustrator, C4D, that kind of stuff). I just don't know what to do with not having CS AND Studio (with Flash ect.). I'm forced to install Boot Camp, but then what's the point of having the MBP? I too was questioning getting the apple care plan, but with my student discount it comes out to about 250 or something like that. I guess I'll just cough up the extra money. Sh!t im already spending a fcuk load of money, what's an extra 250 at this point? lol I just hope the laptop is worth it, and I hope that Adobe releases the universal apps before they are suposed to. I don't know if I can wait till next summer!!

On the upside, I think the Adobe and Macromedia products run quite well on the MBP. From what I've heard they are a bit slower than the Powerbooks, but in doing some things, the MBPs are actually faster. For me, it'll me mucher faster than the current comp I have, so I went out and bought the whole Web Bundle last week. Also, from all the noise we've heard about the heat and whine issues lately, I'm sure people would sounding if those cornerstone programs weren't actually useable.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    andrewjnycandrewjnyc Posts: 32member
    Applecare can still be purchased for a computer anytime within the first year of ownership, correct? Is there any particular reason why it's better to buy it at the time you purchase a computer, or is it perfectly fine to hold off on it for a few months if you don't want to spend an extra $300 at the same time you're buying a $2500 laptop?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc

Applecare can still be purchased for a computer anytime within the first year of ownership, correct? Is there any particular reason why it's better to buy it at the time you purchase a computer, or is it perfectly fine to hold off on it for a few months if you don't want to spend an extra $300 at the same time you're buying a $2500 laptop?

It's perfectly fine to hold off a while. No matter when you buy it within the first year, you get the same extra 2 years of coverage at the same price. I waited with my iBook, and now again with my MBP.