First virus for OSX?!? WTF??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Don't be stupid and you'll be fine. On Windows, sometimes being smart isn't enough.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Associated Press

...Fryer, also a Mac user, said he has begun taking additional precautions over the past year to make sure he doesn't fall victim to an attack. He spends more time than in the past scrutinizing his security logs for signs of intruders...

Okay, I just read the article, so I'm a few days late.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows precisely how one would go about "scrutinizing his security logs for signs of intruders.." on Mac OS X Tiger. That's information I would like to have, just in case it's ever needed.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Don't be stupid and you'll be fine. On Windows, sometimes being smart isn't enough.

most windows users I know have never got viruses. The virus thing is overreported, and is easy to avoid if u run a firewall and up-to-date viruschecker
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows precisely how one would go about "scrutinizing his security logs for signs of intruders.." on Mac OS X Tiger. That's information I would like to have, just in case it's ever needed.

Apple menu > System Preferences > "Sharing" pref pane > "Firewall" > "Start Firewall" Button > "Advanced..." Button > Check "Enable Firewall logging"

Then you check the log either through the sharing pane or through the "Console" app in /Applications/Utilities. The log is called ipfwlog.

It's also a Good Idea to check "Stealth mode" and "Block UDP traffic" in the firewall advanced preferences.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Much appreciated. I had no idea those options existed.