what is the largest HD that can be installed in a Dual 1.25 G4?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

does anyone know what the largest capacity single HD I can put into a Dual 1.25 Ghz G4 (the dual boot one) without resorting to any 3rd party PCI cards?

also, how many internal HDs can be fitted into this case - again without any modifications?

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

Hi,

does anyone know what the largest capacity single HD I can put into a Dual 1.25 Ghz G4 (the dual boot one) without resorting to any 3rd party PCI cards?

also, how many internal HDs can be fitted into this case - again without any modifications?

thanx

Second question first. I'm gonna guess it is the MDD model (Mirrored Drive Door). Those will take three additional drives for a total of 4 with no additional cards needed.

IIRC, that machine didn't have any limitations as far as disk drive size goes. It's fairly modern.

If there is a limitation, it's like 137 Gig partition sizes so you can install a 300 Gig and have several partitions...

http://MacSales.com has a lot on the partition size limit on the Macs...lot of good reading.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi,

thanx 4 your reply.

I now seem to have a rather strange problem. I have the above mentioned machine (MDD) and I have done the following:

Placed a 120GB HD (Drive A) as Master on the ATA100 bus

Placed a 120GB HD (Drive B) as Slave on the ATA100 bus

Placed a 80GB HD (Drive C) as master on the ATA66 bus

that's a total of 3 HDs.

If I boot from my tiger DVD I can see all 3 HDs and can choose to format or install on any of them via disk utility (although the 80GB Drive C is always listed first).

However, if I boot from an OS9 cd (I need classic) then I can only see Drive C! I reformatted all the drives via Disk Utility to have MACOS9 Drivers and this still did not help. I can't understand why drive A is not visible to install OS9 on! I also cannot see why drive B is not visible.

I then used my Norton System works CD to boot off and Disk Doctor claims only drive C exists. If I boot from the hardware test CD it sees all three drives fine!

ANyway if you have any ideas that could shed any light that would be great!

As an aside I installed Tiger on Drive A and everything seems fine except that every few hours if I install something the installer gets stuck where it looks for a drive to install on. All 3 drives are vsisble but the icons are greyed out and the cursor just keeps spinning.

Thanx

BTW I also have a toshiba combo (stock) in the upper tray and a 106D in the lower tray (both cable select)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    As a work around, since OS 9 is really portable, just go ahead and install it on drive C, and then move the "system folder" to whatever drive you want.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Are they all HFS+? Or do you have Journaling on A and B?

It starts to fade I do not think I have used OS 9 or classic since 2004
  • Reply 5 of 6
    the largest drive i have internally in mine is a 300 gig. and it works like a champ.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi Guys,

In reply to your questions:

Quote:

As a work around, since OS 9 is really portable, just go ahead and install it on drive C, and then move the "system folder" to whatever drive you want.

I can install onto Drive C but when I copy it onto Drive A and choose startup disk from Sys Prefs it lets me select the OS 9.2.2 folder on Drive A but then on restart hangs - it flashes the disc not found icon for a while then gets to the smiley mac face and hangs.

Quote:

Are they all HFS+? Or do you have Journaling on A and B?

It starts to fade I do not think I have used OS 9 or classic since 2004

They are all HFS+ and All are journaled

This is really bizarre! I need OS9 running as I have some really old software at work that I need to maintain compatibility with for the next 12 months at least and the software does not run well under classic.