Safari spellcheck

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was checking the spelling in a post I was making on a blog and accidently clicked "learn spelling" instead of changing the spelling error. Now, whenever I make the error (it's a word I always spell wrong) it says the wrong spelling is correct. is there any way to revert this change?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

I was checking the spelling in a post I was making on a blog and accidently clicked "learn spelling" instead of changing the spelling error. Now, whenever I make the error (it's a word I always spell wrong) it says the wrong spelling is correct. is there any way to revert this change?

You can always ask safari how to do this. The help in most of OSX is quite robust.

For example I clicked on HELP and typed "check spelling" and under advanced options this popped up!

Using advanced spell-checking options

In applications that use the Mac OS X spell-checking feature (such as Mail and TextEdit), you can see suggested spellings for words, add frequently used words or terms to the dictionary, or choose dictionaries for specific languages.

Open the document you want to check.

Choose Edit > Spelling > Spelling.

Choose a dictionary from the Dictionary pop-up menu.

The first misspelled word is highlighted. Do one of the following:

Double-click the correct word or spelling in the Guess list to replace the incorrect spelling in the text.

If the correct word does not appear in the Guess list but you know the correct spelling, type the correct word, and click Correct.

Click Ignore if the current spelling is correct and you want to leave it as it is. If this is a term or name you use often, click Learn to add it to the dictionary.

If no alternate spellings appear in the Guess list, select the misspelled word in the Spelling dialog and try a different possible spelling. Click Guess to see if new spelling options appear in the Guess list.

Click Find Next and continue with steps 4 and 5 until you find no more errors in your document.

If you accidentally add a misspelled word to the dictionary, type the misspelling in the Spelling dialog, then click Forget.

It's a good idea to read through your document yourself, even if you use the spell-checker. If you type "fine" instead of "find," it won't show up as a misspelled word because "fine" is a word found in the dictionary. Only you (or another reader) can spot misused words or words that are out of context.