Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 401 of 440
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Wow the whining has reached new levels:

1. The MacBook is a consumer laptop. It isn't supposed to have the best graphics or the lightest weight. With its specs it is the best CONSUMER laptop on the market even w/o the iApps.

2. The ThinkPad and small Vaio's are good, light laptops for business travelers and students who don't have backpacks, but they are not in the same league as the MacBook. I think Apple should have a subnotebook too, but it is dumb to compare the MacBook to any subnotebook. One pound is not a deal breaker for most CONSUMERS.

3. There is no 15.4" sweet spot. People buy what they expect is a good deal and after 30 minutes of use the average CONSUMER doesn't care if those same pixels are in 13 or 15 inches of display space. It is different for graphics people or those who are on their computers for several hours at a time and who might feel the eyestrain, but not average CONSUMERS.

4. The MacBook needs to be marketed as a great product, not just Macs as a great lifestyle. If Apple actually did that and then did a .... "one more thing ... it boots into Windows..." they could double their sales in the CONSUMER market.

Have fun whining and counter whining, but dissing the MacBook without looking at the bigger picture is not very interesting or enlightening reading.
  • Reply 402 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I hope you're not trying to imply that your ThinkPad X60 with your pirated OS X in any way compares to a MacBook. If we leave the ridiculously bad design aside, we still have to take into account that it doesn't have widescreen, has 23.2% less screen estate, has no optical drive (which, btw, significantly adds to the weight, of course) nor Bluetooth, comes with a slightly slower CPU and still costs $400 more.

Yes I am, so naaah naaah. I like light laptops and I there is bluetooth on the X60, screw the DVD. Plus my battery is 7 hours.
  • Reply 403 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

You are the negative type, are you not?

You don't think along the line "oh what a wonderful machine,

what a beauty beast, competitive priced too." No, you rather

propose "weigh' an' heavy crap". Come on, man, apologize

No way man, they took away my 12 inch. I hate big laptops, I pay top dollar to own the smallest. I'm jut glad OSX works with other notebooks.
  • Reply 404 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Wow the whining has reached new levels:

1. The MacBook is a consumer laptop. It isn't supposed to have the best graphics or the lightest weight. With its specs it is the best CONSUMER laptop on the market even w/o the iApps.

That's fine, me understand. Where is my light notebook though. I assume the Macbook is Apples small notebook so they must be targeting the old 12 Inch crowd with it.
  • Reply 405 of 440
    Bitching is fun. If it wasn't for my wife I would never own a Apple consumer product, to cheap. I only buy Powerbooks and Powermacs, I was just making a comment, I think the Macbook is to heavy.
  • Reply 406 of 440
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Apple did not completely replace the 12-inch Powerbook. They pretty much said if you want pro preformance for pro apps you have to use a 15-inch or 17-inch laptop. Apparently many pro's don't use 12-inch Powerbooks.
  • Reply 407 of 440
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

the X60 ? Plus my battery is 7 hours.

Hah! My iPod pisses all over your X60! It's over 2 pounds lighter and has a 12 hour battery life!
  • Reply 408 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Apple did not completely replace the 12-inch Powerbook. They pretty much said if you want pro preformance for pro apps you have to use a 15-inch or 17-inch laptop. Apparently many pro's don't use 12-inch Powerbooks.

That's it isn't it but who is the professional in mind, the creative professional sure, not the business man or programmer on the go. Apple egoist think what Apple gives is what we need but I'm here to tell you that's not true and their missing out. I have skipped this round of notebooks from Apple and will continue to until they give me a light notebook. I travel way to much to be hassled by a 5 pound notebook, you might think it's petty but ask Sony and Lenovo what their number 1 selling computers are, S series from Sony and X series from Lenovo. Us the business travelers desire small light notebooks, and yes I'm sure there are those who don't mind the weight but I'm not one of them.
  • Reply 409 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Hah! My iPod pisses all over your X60! It's over 2 pounds lighter and has a 12 hour battery life!

Huh?
  • Reply 410 of 440
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Could you not post like 7 topics one after another and just edit your orignal ones maybe if you decide to add something? You want a sub notebook. The 12-inch Powerbook was not a sub notebook it was a smaller pro notebook. I doubt Apple will ever make a subnotebook, probably won't happen.
  • Reply 411 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Could you not post like 7 topics one after another and just edit your orignal ones maybe if you decide to add something? You want a sub notebook. The 12-inch Powerbook was not a sub notebook it was a smaller pro notebook. I doubt Apple will ever make a subnotebook, probably won't happen.

No, I've been a member long enough to reply which ever way I feel fit. You right about the 12 not being a sub but it was small enough to warrant a buy.
  • Reply 412 of 440
    I just love playing bad cop, the silly thing about it is I probably purchase more Apple products in a year then most of you would in a life time.
  • Reply 413 of 440
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Yes I am, so naaah naaah. I like light laptops and I there is bluetooth on the X60, screw the DVD. Plus my battery is 7 hours.

I think it helps that the X60 uses the "L" series chip, L2400, and to me, that helps make that notebook a better spec'd system. Apple uses the hotter "T" series chips, T2500 and up. "L" series consumes about half the power as the "T" series, 15W vs 31W at only a relatively minor reduction in clock in comparison, "L" series is currently available at 1.5GHz and 1.66GHz ratings.
  • Reply 414 of 440
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well there is another thread for this...as I mentioned in it, not making a 12" MBP would probably be a mistake and lose some sales.

IF they don't...maybe Relic's weight complaint is valid. Probably not though. And if they make a 12" MacBook Pro, they certainly aren't valid. Apple consumer stuff is cheap. Weight is probably the last consideration in iBooks/MacBooks/consumer stuff. Live with it. And hope they make a 12" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 415 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

IF they don't...maybe Relic's weight complaint is valid.

Relic's weight complaint is not valid. For those that missed it, that was the point of my iPod comment, you have to compare like with like. Relic accused Apple of being behind, when this is clearly not true. Take any comparable laptop, and the MacBook is generally sleeker and (slightly) lighter.

The question of an Apple ultraportable is separate. Do I think they should make one? Absolutely. If they did, it would own all other ultraportables. Unfortunately, the signs don't look good - Apple aren't giving any indications that they intend to make one .
  • Reply 416 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Well there is another thread for this...as I mentioned in it, not making a 12" MBP would probably be a mistake and lose some sales.

IF they don't...maybe Relic's weight complaint is valid. Probably not though. And if they make a 12" MacBook Pro, they certainly aren't valid. Apple consumer stuff is cheap. Weight is probably the last consideration in iBooks/MacBooks/consumer stuff. Live with it. And hope they make a 12" MacBook Pro.

Not holding my breath but I don't need to. I love Solaris, NetBSD and Ubuntu Linux just a much as OSX. Apple not making a lighter notebook just means I buy from some one else and install one or all of the previous listed. No loss, just disappointment because I really like Apples design.
  • Reply 417 of 440
    Quote:

Take any comparable laptop, and the MacBook is generally sleeker and (slightly) lighter.

The Macbook is the heaviest 13.3 inch on the market except for the Panasonic CF-29 which is built like a tank. My complaint is valid, they discontinued the 12 inch and replaced it with a heavier model, where's my cake because I want to eat it to.
  • Reply 418 of 440
    Quote:

The Macbook is the heaviest 13.3 inch on the market except for the Panasonic CF-29 which is built like a tank.

I asked you to show this by giving actual examples, but so far you have not done so.
  • Reply 419 of 440
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

I asked you to show this by giving actual examples, but so far you have not done so.

Just from my experience with my MacBook, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was right. The first thing almost anyone says when they pick up my MB is 'Whoa, it's heavy.'

It's an extremely dense little machine.

(in terms of comparable hardware, it's probably par. in terms of screen size and absolute dimensions, it's considerably heavier than normal.)

Sony VAIO SZ series weighs 3.7 to 4 lbs.

Sharp M4000 weighs 3.7 lbs.

VAIO VGN series weighs 4.2 lbs.

Fujitsu Lifebook weighs 4.2 lbs.

Macbook weighs 5.2 lbs.

Panasonic Toughbook weighs 6 lbs.

• Reply 420 of 440
    Quote:

Geesh man, Asus, Sony, MSI, Fujitsu, ect. take your pick. Your argument in the end anyway will be about price and features blah blah, after they discontinued the 12 inch, the Macbook became the defacto light notebook from Apple. It just doesn't cut it in my book, I want something lighter.