Adding fonts to Macbook??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I tried following the directions/options in the Font Book help menu with no luck so here goes:

I have a few dozen fonts (screen and printer) that I used with OS 9 and they worked across all applications when I upgraded to OSX but now that I?m on a MacBook with 10.4.6 I am not upgrading; I?m on an entirely new system. How do I get this MacBook to recognize all the unique fonts I have been using on my old desktop and G3 laptop. Where do I put those font files and which ones do I transfer: Screen? Printer? Both?

Apparently fonts go in one of two folders:

/home/Library/Fonts

/System/Library/Fonts

but adding fonts is not simply a matter of dragging old fonts and dropping them into one of these folders.

Can anyone spell this out in plain English?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

I tried following the directions/options in the Font Book help menu with no luck so here goes:

I have a few dozen fonts (screen and printer) that I used with OS 9 and they worked across all applications when I upgraded to OSX but now that I?m on a MacBook with 10.4.6 I am not upgrading; I?m on an entirely new system. How do I get this MacBook to recognize all the unique fonts I have been using on my old desktop and G3 laptop. Where do I put those font files and which ones do I transfer: Screen? Printer? Both?

Apparently fonts go in one of two folders:

/home/Library/Fonts

/System/Library/Fonts

but adding fonts is not simply a matter of dragging old fonts and dropping them into one of these folders.

Can anyone spell this out in plain English?

You need to put both screen and printer into one of the font folders.

/home/username/library/fonts is fonts only for the specific user. Some applications do not respond well to this.

/Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts are system wide font folders, but you need administrative access to install in there.

Try not to install duplicate copies of fonts already on your system.

You can either install fonts by copying all the files into a folder (I prefer /Library/Fonts) or going into FontBook application and going File->Add fonts... but this will only add them for the user.

Reboot after filling up /Library/Fonts and you should be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Sounds good. I?ll try it. But a follow up question:

As you know the screen fonts in OS9 are contained in one or more suitcases. Do I extract those screen fonts from the suitcase(s) and then copy them into the /Library/Fonts folder or do I copy the entire suitcase and place it in the /Library/Fonts folder?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

Sounds good. I?ll try it. But a follow up question:

As you know the screen fonts in OS9 are contained in one or more suitcases. Do I extract those screen fonts from the suitcase(s) and then copy them into the /Library/Fonts folder or do I copy the entire suitcase and place it in the /Library/Fonts folder?

Copy it whole (I think...)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Slight clarification: /System/Library is *NOT* to be altered by the user or admin for any reason. It is the exclusive realm of Apple (and badly behaved installers from third parties that can't follow directions.)