wmv for intel based mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there any way to install windows media player on an Intel based mac? I have tried downloading flip4 for mac and the computer tells me it is not supported on this system

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ronaldo

Is there any way to install windows media player on an Intel based mac? I have tried downloading flip4 for mac and the computer tells me it is not supported on this system

It won't let you install?

Telestream are working on an Intel native Flip4Mac, but in the meantime, you could try this (I don't have an Intel mac so can't try this myself):

download pacifist, which lets you open .pkg files. Find the "Flip4Mac WMV Import.component", and copy it to /library/quicktime/.

Now, go to the Applications folder and duplicate the quicktime player. Open the info. panel for the duplicate and tick the "open in rosetta" checkbox. Launch it, and it might work. It's probably a good idea not to leave the WMV component in the /library/quicktime/ folder indefinitely. Only put it in there if you are using the duplicated QuickTime player.

If that all sounds like way too much hassle for something that might not even work properly, just use VLC or Mplayer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ronaldo

Yes. I did it on a black MacBook. Go here

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...d=windowsmedia

and down near the bottom you want to click on this link.

Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

Yes. I did it on a black MacBook. Go here

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...d=windowsmedia

and down near the bottom you want to click on this link.

Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X

Already tried that. It does not work either, but thanks anyway.