Next Major Macbook Pro rev.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So we havent seen anything really NEW since the Macbook Pro came out Jan 10...other than a few minor speedbumps and the 17". When do you guys think the next major revision will come?

Reason im asking is because I cant justify buying a 17" MBP when a MB costs 1000 dollars less for top of the line...and the only major arcitectual change is a dedicated graphics card. Unfortuantly i need that dedicated card for graphics work or i would have jumped on the MB by now.

I just hope the next revision has enough changed that will merit the extra 1000 dollars. (and please no "1000 dollars extra is not just for the graphics card" flames...i know, im talking about performance here and nothing else, which is what the PRO and the extra 1k in the MBP is all about)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    From a post I made in the Mac Pro thread:

It has been said that Apple didn't release an "all new design" for their products in order to prove that Macs are the same machine regardless of the processor (establish credibility using Intel) and to also provide a gentle transition for its customers.

But there are several major problems with the MacBook Pro aside from the whining noise it makes. Here are 10 Reasons why there will be a major MacBook Pro Re-Design (in no specific order)....

? Case design has poor heat dissipation, therefore MBP's run hot; a lot of customers don't like the enclosure being used as the heat sink

? Inability to fit dual-layer 8x DVD burner into 15-inch model

? Inability to place a Firewire 800 port on main logic board of 15-inch model

? Maximum screen opening even more limited by hinge design

? Aluminum enclosure difficult to disassemble; hard to replace hard drive, main logic board

? Aluminum enclosure is making it tough for Apple to use brighter backlights and provide more even illumination of backlight for display

? Display viewing angle very limited compared to competition

? No improvement in weight; Apple will want to not only make these laptops thinner, but lighter

? Apple will want to incorporate magnetic latch from iBook

? I believe Apple wants to incorporate black into its pro product line, and it's not possible to anodize aluminum in black, or advisable to paint aluminum black.

If we are supposing that Apple will use Intel's Woodcrest (shipping June 26th) for the Mac Pro, it would make sense for Apple to announce the Mac Pro in early July.

Additionally with the release of Conroe late in July, those will probably go into the iMacs which are arguably Apple's best computer at the moment, and by that time overdue for a refresh.

So unlike previous Intel releases to date, I don't think Apple will use a reworking of its Power Mac G5 for its new Mac Pro tower. I believe that the Mac Pro will mark the start of a new design direction that Apple has for its pro line.

Therefore, when Merom ships in August, it would make sense for Apple to announce a major redesign to its MacBook Pro at WWDC, reflecting the new pro design direction as well. And given all that's going on and the ten reasons above, it just makes sense.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I agree with most of that, except this: "I believe Apple wants to incorporate black into its pro product line"
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cesrivascesrivas Posts: 10member
    ... and when Apple is going to add its new laptopkeyboard to the MBPs laptops, as in the MBs???
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

It has been said that Apple didn't release an "all new design" for their products in order to prove that Macs are the same machine regardless of the processor (establish credibility using Intel) and to also provide a gentle transition for its customers.

But there are several major problems with the MacBook Pro aside from the whining noise it makes. Here are 10 Reasons why there will be a major MacBook Pro Re-Design (in no specific order)....

? Case design has poor heat dissipation, therefore MBP's run hot; a lot of customers don't like the enclosure being used as the heat sink

? Inability to fit dual-layer 8x DVD burner into 15-inch model

? Inability to place a Firewire 800 port on main logic board of 15-inch model

? Maximum screen opening even more limited by hinge design

? Aluminum enclosure difficult to disassemble; hard to replace hard drive, main logic board

? Aluminum enclosure is making it tough for Apple to use brighter backlights and provide more even illumination of backlight for display

? Display viewing angle very limited compared to competition

? No improvement in weight; Apple will want to not only make these laptops thinner, but lighter

? Apple will want to incorporate magnetic latch from iBook

? I believe Apple wants to incorporate black into its pro product line, and it's not possible to anodize aluminum in black, or advisable to paint aluminum black.

If we are supposing that Apple will use Intel's Woodcrest (shipping June 26th) for the Mac Pro, it would make sense for Apple to announce the Mac Pro in early July.

Additionally with the release of Conroe late in July, those will probably go into the iMacs which are arguably Apple's best computer at the moment, and by that time overdue for a refresh.

So unlike previous Intel releases to date, I don't think Apple will use a reworking of its Power Mac G5 for its new Mac Pro tower. I believe that the Mac Pro will mark the start of a new design direction that Apple has for its pro line.

Therefore, when Merom ships in August, it would make sense for Apple to announce a major redesign to its MacBook Pro at WWDC, reflecting the new pro design direction as well. And given all that's going on and the ten reasons above, it just makes sense.

Sounds good to me, I would love to see a wicked black fire breathing Apple workstation, sitting there all evil looking and shit?

I would really like to see the MacBook Pro in an enclosure similar to the MacBook, but with carbon fibre body panels on a magnesium chassis?

;^p
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I'd point out then you can indeed anodize aluminum in black, and that if Apple would switch to a white LED backlight (which may or may not be affected by case design, I honestly don't know) they'd get a nice increase in brightness plus better colour reproduction. See a couple Sony laptops for details.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

I would really like to see the MacBook Pro in an enclosure similar to the MacBook, but with carbon fibre body panels on a magnesium chassis?

Seconded. I'd take all magnesium too.

Oh, and as long as they're redesigning laptops, fix the subnotebook 11" widescreen hole sans optical drive. And no, it's not likely. But a man can dream.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

SI would really like to see the MacBook Pro in an enclosure similar to the MacBook, but with carbon fibre body panels on a magnesium chassis?

Carbon fibre is as gay as the Fast and the furious part I, II and III together.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Carbon fibre is as gay as the Fast and the furious part I, II and III together.

Nuh Uh!

Carbon fibre is the bomb, baby!

Sweet?!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    You can't make Al Black with paint etc?????

You can done all the time on airplanes, Helicopters etc.. You can just not sure they would.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This whole metal laptop thing...has some big disadvantages. Sure it looks cool, but how's that Airport reception, hmm? And heat, scratches, weight, etc. Plastic is the future. Or maybe carbon fiber or something else high tech if it comes down in price.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    While I concede that I wasn't sure about the anodizing aluminum black part, I suppose that Apple will move away from aluminum to a stronger and lighter material for its pro line. I don't know much about carbon fiber and whether or not this would be the material of choice. The fact of the matter is that we haven't really seen any design changes to Apple's pro notebooks in 3+ years. Yeah, they've added little things here and there like an iSight and a sudden motion sensor.

But I still cannot easily access my PowerBook's internal hard drive. At least on the Titanium PowerBook it was possible!

What makes me sure that a change is in the offing is that Apple made hard drive accessibility easy with the recent release of the MacBook. They are starting to innovate again in this area, due in part, to Intel.

If you look at Apple's designs, they have seemingly taken more control over what you can and cannot access. I think this is for convenience sake of getting a product out the door. At one point you could access the whole interior of an iMac and even mount it to a wall. Then they ran into issues with the thermal design of the iMac and that all changed. Same deal when Apple switched the PowerBooks from Titanium to Aluminum.

Now that Apple is using Intel, and they supposedly have a better performance per watt, I think that Apple will be able to design their products better for easier internal component access. I can imagine it's costing Apple a fortune servicing iMacs, PowerBooks and MacBook Pros because they are so intricate to take apart when they really don't need to be anymore. Apple is shooting themselves in the foot.