Mail.app: Select first or last message in folder

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any keyboard shortcut that would allow me to select either the first or last message in a mail folder, ie, the top or bottom message? Thunderbird has this capability.

I looked at the list of keyboard shortcuts and commands. I also tried Home, End, Command-Up and Command-Down, as well as Control-Up and Control-Down and Page Up and Page Down (which only scroll within the message window). None of these work.

It's annoying when there's no easy way to select the latest message in a large folder, such as inbox, after scrolling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    If you open the mailbox and hit the up arrow, it will select the last message. If you hit the down arrow, it will select the first. But only when no message is already selected.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

If you open the mailbox and hit the up arrow, it will select the last message. If you hit the down arrow, it will select the first. But only when no message is already selected.

--B

Correct. Actually hitting the "up arrow" does select the last message in case

no message has been selected previously. But this is almost never

the case. At least one message is selected.

In order to jump to the last (or first) message you have to

unselect the first (or last) message firstly. Problem, there is

no easy intuitive way to "unselect" a message within mail.

Comand-Click onto message will do the trick.

cheers
  • Reply 3 of 4
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Correct. Actually hitting the "up arrow" does select the last message in case

no message has been selected previously. But this is almost never

the case. At least one message is selected.

In order to jump to the last (or first) message you have to

unselect the first (or last) message firstly. Problem, there is

no easy intuitive way to "unselect" a message within mail.

Comand-Click onto message will do the trick.

cheers

Apple could make this more intuitive. I really like Mail, but it's little quirks like this, and not being to add emails by nickname, that has me seriously considering switching back to Thunderbird.

If Mail could do the nickname search thing and more intuitive keyboard shortcuts, then I wouldn't even consider switching back.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Maybe you found the answer to this a long time ago, but I was just in the same situation and I found that holding down Option and the down arrow for a second or so selected the bottom message. Option and up selected the top one.

This is Snow Leopard and Mail 4.5.