OEM version of XP?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I want to instal windows on my MBP so I was going to buy XP with the SP2 off of eBay. There are a few selling it sealed with a certificate of authenticity, but they're selling the OEM version. Would this work with Boot Camp?

I apologize if this is a ridiculously stupid question (which, after I read back over it, is what it looks like).

Thanks,

-tdnc101

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I haven't tried it but it should work fine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Works fine.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Theoretically the OEM version is sold to be specifically installed on a new computer--maybe even sold with a new computer--

It will work fine.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Thanks all. Second question - I purchased the OEM version to, obviously, install it on my MBP. Sadly, I haven't done so yet, because I've had problems even before I inserted the disc.

I upgrade the software/firmware and run the Boot Camp Assistant and I get an error message saying "Your startup disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved."

I went to the help page and tried doing the stuff there. The disk is fully repaired and journaling is enabled.

I looked around more on the internet, some say it's due to weird widgets. I don't use wigets/don't have any activated, so that isn't the problem.

Any suggestions?

-tdnc101
  • Reply 5 of 8
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Try Parallels? Other than that, you might have to back up and reinstall. Something in in file hierarchy will not permit Boot Camp the capability of reserving enough disk space for the Windows partition.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Try Parallels? Other than that, you might have to back up and reinstall. Something in in file hierarchy will not permit Boot Camp the capability of reserving enough disk space for the Windows partition.

Sigh, thanks for the response but not uplifting news.

Is there any chance that the problem is something a re-install wouldn't solve (broken hard drive or something)? Downloading etc. seems to be working fine for everything else. The reason why I ask is because I would imagine a re-install is an extremely long process, one I don't want to do for nothing.

-tdnc101
  • Reply 7 of 8
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tdnc101

Sigh, thanks for the response but not uplifting news.

Is there any chance that the problem is something a re-install wouldn't solve (broken hard drive or something)? Downloading etc. seems to be working fine for everything else. The reason why I ask is because I would imagine a re-install is an extremely long process, one I don't want to do for nothing.

-tdnc101

I'm not really sure what's wrong with your disk, but usually when there is data on the disk that you can't move it's locked by OS for it self or for some program. Swap file for example. Good behaving programs should not normally lock files for extended periods of time, but unfortunately not all play well with others. For example some loggers that are constantly writing something never let go of their log files.

Try killing all unnecessary programs and then running it again.

Your computer is so new, that I don't think there is physically anything wrong with your harddrive
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

I'm not really sure what's wrong with your disk, but usually when there is data on the disk that you can't move it's locked by OS for it self or for some program. Swap file for example. Good behaving programs should not normally lock files for extended periods of time, but unfortunately not all play well with others. For example some loggers that are constantly writing something never let go of their log files.

Try killing all unnecessary programs and then running it again.

Your computer is so new, that I don't think there is physically anything wrong with your harddrive

Everyone on this board is so helpful.

I'm going to try everyone's suggestions, and as a last-ditch effort I'm going to go for the re-install of OSX. Wish me luck, I'm going in.