Application to play ripped DVDs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I need some help here. I would like to rip all my DVDs, 150+, and set it up to stream to my home theatre. I saw some hardware (can't remember the name) at Bang & Olufson that sorts all the dvds you ripped by genre, actors, etc... (too expensive tho) and I was wondering if there is any software for mac (or windoze) that will show me all my DVDs, with cover art, at a minimum.

I have MediaCentral, which works to an extent, but it shows a lot of static before it starts the DVDs. If it is any help, my DVDs are all region 1 (US/Canada).

Thanks for the help,

Noah

PS: For those who will scream 'ILLIGAL', all my DVDs were paid for in full, and this is going to be used so that I don't have to spend 30 mins finding the DVD I want, and so other people that use it do not scratch the discs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmm. Dunno, does FrontRow have a way of visually showing you a poster frame from a movie, like it shows you posters for movie previews? If so, then there actually is a way to hint a QuickTime file to force the poster frame to be a particular image - you could make that the DVD cover off of Amazon.

Alternately, is there a way to trigger an action from inside Delicious Library? You could use that as the basic UI to find what you want, then have it hand off to another player.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hmm. Dunno, does FrontRow have a way of visually showing you a poster frame from a movie, like it shows you posters for movie previews? If so, then there actually is a way to hint a QuickTime file to force the poster frame to be a particular image - you could make that the DVD cover off of Amazon.

Alternately, is there a way to trigger an action from inside Delicious Library? You could use that as the basic UI to find what you want, then have it hand off to another player.

The problem with frontrow is that it does not play ripped dvds. But I will check out Delicious Library. Thanks

Noah
  • Reply 3 of 19
    chirhochirho Posts: 50member
    1. would take you years to do

2. would cost you a fortune in new/larger hard-drives

probly be best to simply rip them (on a pc i use dvdshrink) and organise the dvd files yourself. then you can just select the correct VIDEO_TS folder with your media player and off you go
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by chirho

1. would take you years to do

2. would cost you a fortune in new/larger hard-drives

probly be best to simply rip them (on a pc i use dvdshrink) and organise the dvd files yourself. then you can just select the correct VIDEO_TS folder with your media player and off you go

You're contradicting yourself. You are telling me it will take years to rip 150 DVDs, then telling me to do it. Just thought I'd point that out.

Thanks for your insight, but I am looking for software that will show me the cover art from the DVD because my family finds it easier to identify DVDs like that. Rather than browsing through hundreds of titles.

Kickaha: Delicious Library is great and all, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find any play feature for ripped movies. Thanks anyways.

Noah

Edit: Minor spelling errors
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I have had good luck with a free program called Matinee.

Check their website... http://matinee.dizandat.com/
  • Reply 6 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

I am looking for software that will show me the cover art from the DVD because my family finds it easier to identify DVDs like that. Rather than browsing through hundreds of titles.

Your family would find a movie quicker by looking through a lot of images than if you listed the movies alphabetically by name?

What I would do is rip them with yadeX as images (assuming you wanted the extras and menus). Then you just list the images in your filesystem, mount the one you want and open DVD player.

If you just want the main track to save some space, you could rip it as a VOB and then make up a playlist in VLC.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shell Dweller

I have had good luck with a free program called Matinee.

Check their website... http://matinee.dizandat.com/

THANKS! Sounds perfect! I will check it out and get back to you.

Noah
  • Reply 8 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

Kickaha: Delicious Library is great and all, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find any play feature for ripped movies. Thanks anyways.

I didn't expect it to be able to play the movies directly, but does it have a method for triggering any external action? If so, regardless of how it does it, it could be used to hand off the movie to a player. For some reason, I kind of expected it to have a triggering function. I'll look into it, and plant a bug in Wil's ear if necessary.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Apple's own DVD player will play DVD ISOs. You double click the ISO and I think DVD Player opens automatically to play.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Apple's own DVD player will play DVD ISOs. You double click the ISO and I think DVD Player opens automatically to play.

Yes, I found that out a few days ago, but I was looking for a software that would show me the cover of the dvd, then give me the option to play it.

Noah
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    Interesting you should ask, I've just bought nine of those new 750Gb seagate disks and there's a card/multi-disk-enclosure on it's way over to me as I type. I have an old xserve that they will be attached to. Once that's setup I'm going to start ripping all of my DVDs onto it (with MTR). I'm then going to install a four mac minis (DVI-attached) to my TVs around the house and wire (cat 5, don't trust wireless for video) them back to the xserve with BT mice and keyboards. I'll use DVD player to play the rips and VLC for any other video I come across. I'm also putting connecting a couple of those elgato DVB-T boxes to the xserve to act as a PVR. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Interesting you should ask, I've just bought nine of those new 750Gb seagate disks and there's a card/multi-disk-enclosure on it's way over to me as I type. I have an old xserve that they will be attached to. Once that's setup I'm going to start ripping all of my DVDs onto it (with MTR). I'm then going to install a four mac minis (DVI-attached) to my TVs around the house and wire (cat 5, don't trust wireless for video) them back to the xserve with BT mice and keyboards. I'll use DVD player to play the rips and VLC for any other video I come across. I'm also putting connecting a couple of those elgato DVB-T boxes to the xserve to act as a PVR. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Ya, that is exactly what I was planning to do! Just minus the xserve, too expensive . Know of any RAIDs that cost less, yet allow me to have around 6 HDs? As for using DVD player, don't you think it would be annoying to have to use the keyboard/mouse? If you dont mind going through text, I'd recommend MediaCentral, works with the apple remote, salling clicker, and a bunch of other things. It also has a decent interface. Good luck with your setup!

Noah
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use a RAID 5 card from HERE. It takes up to 8 SATA drives.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think FrontRow needs plugin support, or at least some way to better integrate other media. I'm sure Apple is well aware of this problem though, and I think iTunes 7 will have much better video handling, assuming it stays within iTunes.

I'd prefer a true FrontRow SDK though, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd want to extend FrontRow's capabilities.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I think FrontRow needs plugin support

I second that. It would be great to see EyeTV in there.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I think FrontRow needs plugin support, or at least some way to better integrate other media.

While I agree....

I don't see happening.... not so long as Apple is (still?) in negotiations with the studios et al to get more video/movie content for iTunes.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 19
    cjp767cjp767 Posts: 2member
    Like you, I've been trying to find a program that will show me cover art of my library then open dvd player- Just showing the title is not acceptable-- just showing one title at a time is also not acceptable.

Most programs are like going to Blockbuster and getting a list of titles typed on a page-- or showing you one DVD cover at a time.

I found DVD Juggler - It's the only program I have been able to find that will show me the cover art of many movies and call dvd player to view. Sadly, It's a little unstable and crashes often when I add a movie and search for cover art.

http://homepage.mac.com/aodev/main.html

I made a request to the writers of Delicious Library for that automated feature. Here's the text of the author's reply-- Sadly, I cannot make it work. Does anyone know the syntax/procedure to make DVD Player open from Delicious Library?

"You can associate any URL (including a file:///) with an item in Delicious Library in My Info. RIght now you have to do some clicking to get it to launch, but likely the next version will launch the URL on double click."
  • Reply 18 of 19
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Don't forget Drive-In.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    cjp767cjp767 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Don't forget Drive-In.

Thanks! I did forget about DriveIn. I'm not ready to "commit" until it's not beta.

Here's another one I found-- it looks very good-- DVDpedia

http://bruji.com/dvdpedia/