p2p in MAC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there guys!

Can you recomend any p2p program for MAC? I will move from PC to MAC after summer and I was wondering wether I could use a equivalent for eMule in MAC.

By the way, how much can be found on those programs for MAC?

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fila 11

Hi there guys!

Can you recomend any p2p program for MAC? I will move from PC to MAC after summer and I was wondering wether I could use a equivalent for eMule in MAC.

By the way, how much can be found on those programs for MAC?

Cheers!

Go to www.versiontracker.com

In the search field, type in p2p to get a list of available p2p mac programs.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Get on the BitTorrents

www.bittorrent.com for info

Azureus for your client

By far the best P2P solution around

Denevr
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I vote for Transmission over Azureus. Granted, Azureus has a billion settings, none of which are neccessary if your BT client "just works".

And before someone bites your head of and shits it through a rusty meat grinder... Macs are refered to as Macs not MACS.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    oh... MACbook. MACbook.. IMac.... I.P.O.D.

who cares really.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fila 11

Hi there guys!

Can you recomend any p2p program for MAC?

I really do not know of any P2P software baced on layer 2 addressing, but if you want something fot the Mac, not the MAC, look no further than Limewire Pro and for bit torrent, I prefer Tomato torrent. Both of tese are easily found at versiontracker.com, a really cool software index.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DenverKirrane

Get on the BitTorrents

www.bittorrent.com for info

Azureus for your client

By far the best P2P solution around

Denevr

Azurius leaks ram faster than my 20 year old car leaks oil! Use Tomato Torrent, it is sooooo much better!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I vote Azureus because it has the most features, is the most stable and is the most reliable for getting connections.

Although it seems like it is wasting memory, it's just that you are seeing all the torrents open under the one process. If you look at Tomato Torrent, each torrent has an individual process so you have to add up all those resources as well as Tomato Torrent itself.

I also consider Bittorrent to be better than decentralized networks like Limewire because the downloads are faster but mainly because they tend to finish too. The key of course is finding a good tracker.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cosmos 1999cosmos 1999 Posts: 149member
    Well, everybody seems to tell you to go with a BitTorrent client, but the "download philosophy" is different with such a network and .torrent shortcuts which you have to retrieve manually for each file (even if there are good trackers).

Since you were an eMule user, the best answer for you would be... aMule (which stands for "all-platform Mule". It is an emule clone and works just as eMule, on the same networks with the same .met servers). Unlike eMule, aMule is available on various platforms: Windows, Linux and BSD, Mac OS X Panther & Tiger. Moreover, aMule is currently availabe in 28 languages, Spanish included

-> www.amule.org

And to extract Mac specific files from all that Windows stuff you get in aMule, just filter your search or the results with keywords such as "mac, "os x", "toast", "dmg", "sit"... And don't forget to take only free programs!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Since you were an eMule user, the best answer for you would be... aMule (which stands for "all-platform Mule". It is an emule clone and works just as eMule, on the same networks with the same .met servers).

I never got amule to work right. I got edonkey 2000 to work alright but some downloads would just drag on for ages until I ended up with around 50 or so incomplete files that just wouldn't download for days.

The best experience I had on the edonkey network was with xdonkey. It's still nowhere near as good as Bittorrent for big files but as far as decentralised P2P, it's the best app I've used.

To compare the two, I can download 2GB+ in 1-2 days on BT but that amount would take me about 2 weeks with a decentralized network not to mention that it would often stop at 70-80% and I'd discover that it is a well known incomplete file and I then have to get file repair tools to try and salvage what I can.

The advantage of course is that you get more selection but it depends on what you want. 50,000 genuine files with descriptions and some assurance of getting a complete file or 20,000,000 files with none of that? It's a quality vs quantity thing.

I've tried both types out for years and I've just had much higher success with BT. I still use xdonkey now and again.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Happy Azureus user here, thought I too often think "WTF do all these settings do, anyway?"

Just don't use Limewire. I've seen too many Macs with corrupted hard drives because Limewire just threw data wherever it damn well pleased. Seriously, not even DiskWarrior could repair some Macs done in by Limewire.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    my favorite p2p client:

Torrentflux running in Ubuntu Linux/Apache web server under Parallels on my iMac. Torrentflux (.com) is web based. With my router assigning a static ip to the virtual machine I can access my p2p downloads and search torrent sites without popups from the comfort of any web browser in the world....and download them in zip format when they are done.

try that with azereus or any other client.

http://www.torrentflux.com/