Can you adjust the Finder grid spacing?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
It seems you can't do this with the Finder but is there a 3rd party app that does this? I tried saving space by lowering the icon size, font size and positioning item info on the right but it still leaves huge horizontal spacing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    The same goes for desktop as well, hopefully this will be fixed in leopard, preferably even sooner.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    The insanely huge icon spacing on the desktop was introduced (bug?) in 10.4.3 or 10.4.4. Prior to that, the spacing was like the Finder, which while still large, I find ok. The desktop spacing now is ridiculously large.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

The insanely huge icon spacing on the desktop was introduced (bug?) in 10.4.3 or 10.4.4. Prior to that, the spacing was like the Finder, which while still large, I find ok. The desktop spacing now is ridiculously large.

The problem might have been escaleted then, but there defenitely was propblems already in panther. It's ridiculous that you can't change that property your self. With the 12 inch screen the current spacing doesn't even match, it leaves an awkward gap to the left side of the screen when the right side icons nicely follow the edge. Also the 10pt minimum text size is kind of restricting, not everyone has bad eye sight.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I thought there might have been a way to add a plist value to the Finder or desktop preference files to set this. Some apps like Tinkertool add properties to them that aren't there originally. I wonder how you figure out what properties applications respond to. I also wonder why Apple doesn't give us an easy way to change any property an application can have so that apps like Tinkertool are unnecessary.