Vista Beta 2 is a complete mess

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Google should bloody come out with guns blazing and make a Unix-based OS already...!!!

Why? Google couldn't design a good interface if their lives depended on it.

All they do is stick a Search field everywhere, as if that were a user's primary concern.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Well, I like Gmail a lot. I'd just like to see them try I guess. Picasa was quite nice as well. There's potential there. Google Maps is quite thorough as well. There's potential......
  • Reply 43 of 99
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Ah, but the bulk of Picasa's UI was done before they were bought by Google.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Damnit!! Well, there goes my hopes for a nice Google OS. Frankly, nobody knows what their strategy is. At the moment it seems to be

1. release as much beta software as possible

2. software will perpetually be beta

3. goto and play no. 1
  • Reply 45 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Damnit!! Well, there goes my hopes for a nice Google OS. Frankly, nobody knows what their strategy is. At the moment it seems to be

1. release as much beta software as possible

2. software will perpetually be beta

3. goto and play no. 1

A Google OS would be incredibly unsuccessful coming from any other company than Google, but Google has such immense capital that they could pay people to use it.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well Google Office sure is coming. Google Spreadsheets anyone? I'm...intrigued. Hey if it makes MS put more effort in to Office everyone wins.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Damnit!! Well, there goes my hopes for a nice Google OS.

Goobuntu.

Wiki Goobuntu.

Hi, Sunil.

--B
  • Reply 48 of 99
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by bergz

Goobuntu.

Wiki Goobuntu.

Hi, Sunil.

--B

Hi !

w000000000000000000000t !!!!!!111!!!!!!!

Some buzz on Digg (not worth much but whatever... )

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Goobuntu_is_coming_
  • Reply 49 of 99
    Originally posted by Aquatic

Well Google Office sure is coming. Google Spreadsheets anyone? I'm...intrigued. Hey if it makes MS put more effort in to Office everyone wins.

Well, hopefully Office will lose and Google Office will win. (I guess I'm assuming Google Office will be good, if it ever comes out)... Heh.

Office as it is, is total BLOATWARE. The "features" they have added in the past few years is nonsense.

If Google Office was on the horizon, MS's response of "putting more effort" into Office is to make Office (A)even more bloated (B)even more full of rubbish annoying wizard-crap (C)cosmetic changes (some sort of "prettying up" that may or may not be useful from a UI point of view.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Why? Google couldn't design a good interface if their lives depended on it.

All they do is stick a Search field everywhere, as if that were a user's primary concern.

yeah
  • Reply 51 of 99
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Do you think it is that huge? Does that mean Mac OS X is at least 5 years ahead regarding Vista?

Perhaps not 5 years ahead of Vista, but I can't help but laugh at the "revolutionary" changes that MS is introducing with Vista that have been available on OSX for years. "Gadgets?" "Aero Interface?" Sounds a whole lot like "Widgets" and "Aqua Interface" to me. Vista is just screaming "OS X wannabe."
  • Reply 52 of 99
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

All they [Google] do is stick a Search field everywhere, as if that were a user's primary concern.

And true to form, MS is doing the same thing with Vista. What a joke.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jamezog

Perhaps not 5 years ahead of Vista, but I can't help but laugh at the "revolutionary" changes that MS is introducing with Vista that have been available on OSX for years. "Gadgets?" "Aero Interface?" Sounds a whole lot like "Widgets" and "Aqua Interface" to me. Vista is just screaming "OS X wannabe."

I just hope that you can choose not to install them from the very beginning!
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Originally posted by jamezog

Heh. The thing is, they'll copy OS X, and make it worse, and full of wizard-rubbish and bloatware iApps wannabees. The "security" features are going to be even more hilarious, with a whole layer of even more bloated code that'll be patched and patched and patched and patched...
  • Reply 55 of 99
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    I tried beta 2 on my iMac and after a few tricks, I've gotten it working..and it runs reasonably well...

the nannyware is incredibly annoying...start a program on a cd or open any settings and it asks a few times to make sure you are sure you want to do something...

they should have a setting when you first boot after install to set the nanny level to either a n00b level or a l33t level...

and people complain about Apple's UI being inconsistent...wow Vista will mortify them
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Heh. "Nannyware". Great new word.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

they should have a setting when you first boot after install to set the nanny level to either a n00b level or a l33t level...

Oh my god man you've got me crying with laughter!
  • Reply 58 of 99
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The real problem with those file deletion screenshots is the default button selection is an affirmative action. A dialog that asks if you're sure should always default to the negative.

But UIs have been so bastardized today, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Browser tabs, 2-dimensional pulldown menu precision, Apple-W quitting applications... I abhor all that, yet it exists in my favorite operating system.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    You'd think that after 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, they'd finally be out of the 'beta' stage...but no...this is yet another beta.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Eugene

...Apple-W quitting applications...

I love Apple-W quitting applications. Finally! When I first started using the Mac I was wondering why the HELL all these apps were still running with no windows. I say bring on more Apple-W quitting applications if there are no more active windows for that app.