Alternatives to Quicken 2006

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I do like Quicken, except it keeps crashing & sometimes won't open.

What alternatives are there?

I use it for personal accounts & for logging what is taxable income & tax claimable expenses as I am a self employed Doctor. Quicken allows me to print of a tax summary at the end of the financial year that I can then pass to my accoutant. Bit concerned with the frequent crashes in Quicken.

Have just downloaded..

iBank

Personal finance

Checkbook

iCash

Moneydance

Accounts

from the apple downloads to try.

Anyone any experience of these or better alternatives?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    MYOB is accounting software which may be of use to you

i am not sure though
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about buying quicken 2004??? many banks don't support >04 for mac. really it think with intuit the only real upgrades to mac quicken is the number not much else. now you could get an intel mac, run bootcamp and windows and get quicken for windows, or money.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    You could try Cashbox. It's open source and donationware. I actually plan on checking it out when I get home tonight as I just found the link earlier today.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

You could try Cashbox. It's open source and donationware. I actually plan on checking it out when I get home tonight as I just found the link earlier today.

how do you get your online banking stuff into it. with quicken you have to download and import, if it was windows the bank automatically sends to quicken what file format does it use, and do the banks have it???
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow, NOFEER... first item on the link was about exactly that. \ (Hint: QIF)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wow, NOFEER... first item on the link was about exactly that. \ (Hint: QIF)

let me know how it works, including importing from previous quicken.

i wish intuit/quicken would support mac with other than junk. i wish banks saw the growth potential of mac users since ms money is not for mac.

but i quess as mac market shares grow we will get a response. but maybe this cashbox is good enough that mac users go to it and teach quicken a lesson.

i use quicken 2003, it's buggy, but i won't ungrade to another quicken until mac users tell me it's much better and we can get some respect.

i wish cashbox or quicken had a web based system that would integrate with our banks (i'd even pay a reasonable "fee" to do this), that way it would be OS independent, kind of what google does, HEY google are you listening???
  • Reply 7 of 8
    varian72varian72 Posts: 36member
    I use Quicken 2006 wiith very little problems.

I've tried almost all the apps you mentioned.

iBank: Too unconventional...or perhaps just not enough like Quicken which I personally found pretty intuitive. Whatever the case...entering an expense/deposit was just not quick enough for me no matter how much I tried. I prefer teh register method rather than a separate entry pane.

Moneydance: Great Promise, but the UI just is not there yet. Could be a real competitor if they get it.

Personal Finance/Checkbook: Not advanced enough.

Have not tried accounts.

Quicken is not ideal, but I need the auto-DL from my bank that only MoneyDance offered. I use my miles card for just about everything in my life so I'm not about to track my expenses manually. I don't like downloading the excel files.

I'll stick with Quicken '06 until I can get a Macbook pro and then "upgrade" to the windows version if Intuit has not improved the mac version enough.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    'll stick with Quicken '06 until I can get a Macbook pro and then "upgrade" to the windows version if Intuit has not improved the mac version enough.

im thinking the same thing, i just want my quicken to download directly from my bank without me downloading qif files separately... i want simpler, more banks support windows this way and until quicken mac gets better with banks then more reason to get my mbp