How to install certain types of programs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am new too mac, im normally a Windows guy, but I am going to school so kinda had to switch.

I am trying to install some things here and there..

But I can't figure out how to open/install them.

For example I have a mouse which I need the driver installed for, and all I see on the folder listing is setup.exe or autorun.inf How do I open these? Or is there some other way of doing this? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Hello there,

From the sound of it you are trying to install driver software that is made for windows only! .exe and .inf files are not MAC installers. you recognize these by the .DMG extension (DiskiMaGe). You could check the device manufacturer support website for a driver for Mac osX.

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hanenthanent Posts: 19member
    Woo~~.exe and .inf files won't open in mac cause they're windows installer.

For mouse driver, if you can't find the mac driver for your mouse try steer mouse driver, usually works for most of the mouse out there.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...teermouse.html
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    Alright thanks guys.

Reason why I ask also, is my friend got Photoshop, supposedly for mac. And they are .exe files. I figured they were windows only. But I wasn't sure, since I really know nothing about macs yet.

I got my mouse driver from the website, but even on the box it says it works with mac osx+ but the CD only had window files.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Good for you to know (if you don't allready): if you have to/want to, you can run windows side by side with osX on all new macs that have an intel processor. Google for bootcamp and parallels and find out there are two good options available to do this!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    Ya I know that.

I am definately going to be doing that.

But I am going to switch from my MB to MBP so once I get the MBP then I will add that nice feature.

But my friend has parallels, but he wants a Mac verison of photoshop, so that's why he was trying that.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Klawz

I got my mouse driver from the website, but even on the box it says it works with mac osx+ but the CD only had window files.

Just plug it in and try it. Most of these cross platform devices are truly plug & play on the Mac. But older Windows platforms may need drivers. So the manufactures includes disks of windows drivers but do not provide drivers for the Mac. Nor are they needed.