apple ibook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi guys

if i can get a cheap ibook is it worth getting it ???

i can do with out front row and the isight all i want it for is my ipod, web browsing & some basic word prossesing

speed isn't an issue as i've never experenced a mac before so i won't tell the difference.

cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    If you're just going to use it for browsing and light word processing... an iBook should be fine. I was using an 800MHz G4 iBook until very recently. It did all of that fine. I just wanted a new updated machine... but I still do all the same stuff on my new MacBook. If you can get one really cheap, you may realize how much you like OS X and decide to move up to something more powerful... but if it does what you need... that's only a personal choice. The good thing about the iBooks is that they were around for so long that the later generations had pretty much all the kinks worked out. None of that early adopter stuff people go through with new releases (MacBooks / Pros).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    It depends on how cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Look at you man! Last of the Mo-ricans!

Just watch out for Benny from the Bronx...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    get at least a 1Ghz machine, and get it as cheap as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    carlitocarlito Posts: 13member
    just been on you tube and they show some ibooks running frontrow

is this possible ???? i know you can start it by tapping esc if you don't have the remote
  • Reply 6 of 12
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by carlito

is this possible ???? i know you can start it by tapping esc if you don't have the remote

It might be MediaCentral. It runs on PPC Macs and looks somewhat frontrow-esque And it can also be customized to start on different key combos.

Noah
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Are you sure it wasn't a white MacBook?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    iv seen video of front row running on an emac... what did they top out at? 600Mhz-800Mhz??
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

iv seen video of front row running on an emac... what did they top out at? 600Mhz-800Mhz??

1.42 GHz.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by carlito

I loaded it on a 466 G3 iBook ... ... not useable, but it WORKS.

Otherwise, the biggest drawback to that machine is the 800x600 screen.

It sits next to my stereo and serves music from iTunes through Airport Express now.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

1.42 GHz.

oh do i feel stupid
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I'm in the same situation. Ibooks are now being sold for $650 LESS than the Macbook. Originally the difference was only $150. Should I buy it if it's that much cheaper over the Macbook?