What's your (longest) uptime?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just decided to check mine - you just type the word uptime into the terminal. Normally I don't care about this sort of thing but I just felt like it today.

It's currently 42 days on my Mac Mini. Not too bad considering what I throw at it.

What's the longest uptime people have had?

Thank goodness for unix, OS 9 would've been lucky to get through a working day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Thank goodness for unix, OS 9 would've been lucky to get through a working day.

you misspelled hour.

BTW: uptime of 22 days on my mini...damnd point release that auto reboots!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My G5 is a server so it os always on, but I restart for software updates.

So, whatever length of time between software updates is my uptime.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    My moms PC was on for 34 days, until it decided it wanted updates, downloaded them, and restarted all by its self.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    A month or two at most.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Depends on whether software update is bouncing in my dock...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    My up time is currently... 6 minutes.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    My varies depending on dosage.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    My Mini is still going at 54 days now. I don't need anything fixed with the 10.4.7 update so I might be able to push it a bit longer.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    195 days, on an AL Powerbook. My wife restarted because she couldn't get on the web, but it was the router that was in need of a re-boot. Who knows how much longer it wouldv'e gone.

2nd best was 113 days on a Quicksilver.

Average is a couple weeks to a month.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Why would you want to keep your computer on 24/7?

Unlike Windows, Mac OS X starts very quickly.

When I'm not using it durring the day or while I'm sleeping, I just turn it off.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

True, however, also like unlike windows, OS X doesn't really slow down if you leave it running either.

For me I simply love that I can open my laptop, or move the mouse on my G5 and be working in a matter of seconds.

I have begun to rely on the fact

There is nothing worse than having a flash of inspiration for a project but loosing the incentive while you wait to boot up.

For me, all three of my mac's run pretty much 24/7 (albeit mostly in standby) and only really ever reboot to install updates

As for my record... well my mom's eMac ran for almost 9 months without a reboot, cause i was away from home for that time, and she was too scared to install software updates.

I got home and the thing was still running fine, although i had several hundred meg of updates to install... so that was fun
  • Reply 12 of 17
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

When I'm not using it durring the day or while I'm sleeping, I just turn it off.

Yeah, but computer sleep time counts as "uptime" as well. So, rather than shutting down, if you just slept the machine, you would have high uptimes too.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Yeah, but computer sleep time counts as "uptime" as well. So, rather than shutting down, if you just slept the machine, you would have high uptimes too.

This is true...

But sleeping the computer does require some energy.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

This is true...

But sleeping the computer does require some energy.

About 1% of battery power per hr. on a Powerbook. Not enough to concern yourself with, unless you're one of those people who unplugs their TV when they're not watching it.

& roughly 2 minutes from a cold start to a fully functional login, vs instant on at the tap of a spacebar, or the lifting of a lid, I'd say sleep is much more convenient. I don't miss rebooting my computer every day in the same way that I don't miss listening to the modem song.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

bitesizepancakes

For me I simply love that I can open my laptop, or move the mouse on my G5 and be working in a matter of seconds.

Yep, that's why I do it too. I also have my TV guide on it so it's there when I need it.

Plus, I think booting and restarting wears out your hardware more than keeping it running. I imagine it follow a similar principle to a light bulb which is most likely to blow when it's being switched on/off.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Last login: Tue Jun 27 10:40:19 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

"blah blah'"s-Computer:~ "blahblah"$ uptime

9:21 up 6 days, 22:42, 2 users, load averages: 0.39 0.60 0.71

"blah blah'"s-Computer:~ "blahblah"$

1) What's the $ mean, in my user ID. (It's not part of my ID.)

2) Why are there 2 users, when I'm the only one logging on to my computer?

3) That's lousy up-time! I was up for months, until recently, when I had 2 or 3 crashes with-in a week.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrash

1) What's the $ mean, in my user ID. (It's not part of my ID.)

That's part of the prompt. The root user usually has a "%" prompt, whereas others usually have a "$" prompt.

Quote:

2) Why are there 2 users, when I'm the only one logging on to my computer?

The other user is you, too, only graphically. You can see further information about this using "w" or "who"; either will give you a list of logged-in users. Those with "console" are graphically logged in; those with "p(n)" or "tty(n)" are in textual terminals.