Converting .VOB files for editing??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to figure out how to bring in a video file from a small DVD disc shot on a Sony Handy Cam 105. There is no way to connect via USB or firewire. The files are in a .VOB format. I need to someow get it into iMovieHD (iLife'06) for editing. Any suggestions? I did have a functioning Formac TV tuner that also allowed the video cable connections but that is defunct. Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    VOB files are authored mpeg-2 files - the same kind you'd get on a commercial DVD. This format is not very good for editing because it uses inter-frame dependency so editing isn't frame accurate. MPEG-2 is a delivery format and isn't supported by imovie.

imovie likes the DV format so you'd be best getting something to convert VOB to DV. ffmpegx does this. MPEG Streamclip does too and is probably better.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Yes. Use ffmpegx to convert the file to .DV. However, there's a chance that the brightness and size will be altered (to my eye, .dv files on Macs are MUCH darker than they should be).

iMovie will read the .dv files just fine. Be warned, though: .dv files are HUGE.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

.dv files on Macs are MUCH darker than they should be).

That's odd. During a recent capture, some DV files were coming out really dark whereas they looked nice and bright on the camera viewer. This has never happened before. Could it be a particular setting that's changed maybe? I use Final Cut Pro and lots of people mess about with the settings.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

That's odd. During a recent capture, some DV files were coming out really dark whereas they looked nice and bright on the camera viewer. This has never happened before. Could it be a particular setting that's changed maybe? I use Final Cut Pro and lots of people mess about with the settings.

I was told that a Mac registers digital black MUCH darker than it ought to. I once had a DV video capture unit, and I had to get rid of it because the video was oftem too dark to watch.