what else do I need...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been reading the topics in the forums about upgrading the HDD in the MB. It seems pretty easy and although I don't have a MB yet, I will soon. I was thinking about upgrading the HDD to a 160GB offered by www.macsales.com, but if I remove the stock HDD and replace it with the new HDD, won't I lose all of my programs and OS originally installed? And if so, how do I get all of the programs and stuff like that back onto the new HDD? Is there a way to avoid this? I do appologize, I've never come accross this problem and I thought that you all would have answers. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, if you replace the HD you will lose its contents.

When you install the new drive, you need to boot from the Tiger CD and go to the Disk Utility, then format the drive. You can then install the OS.

The easiest way would be to just move your data (documents, apps, etc.) to an external drive and move them back to the MB once the new HD is installed. You could pick up a USB SATA reader but those aren't too common yet. If you knew someone with another mac, you could clone (there are a few free third party apps) your computer's drive to the external drive, then connect it to your friends mac, then format the HD in the new mac, boot into target disk mode, then clone the external drive to the new MB drive, then extend the partition.

The latter of the methods would mean you wouldn't have to reinstall everything, but to be honest, it would just be easier to lose it all and put back what you need.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rafarafa Posts: 25member
    Ah, that doesn't sound too bad to just reinstall the programs. To be honest with you, I won't have anything to transfer to my MB from my current PC, so it seems to me that it would be logical to just use the cd's that come with the MB. Also, the MB's have that hard drive feature - sudden motion sensor - which parks the hard drive in the event of a drop to prevent damage, is that a feature on the hard drive or MB. In other words, will I still have that feature if I swap hard drives?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If you're at all skittish about exchanging the hard drive, consider leaving the original in and just getting an external drive for extra storage and for backup.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by rafa

To be honest with you, I won't have anything to transfer to my MB from my current PC, so it seems to me that it would be logical to just use the cd's that come with the MB.

This was what I thought considering you stated you do not have the MB as yet Install is not that hard or time consuming. Chances are you would have done this anyway even if your not upgrading your HDD to get rid of bloatware.