iMac's updated in October?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silverdog

The Conroe chip will be in an Apple product before January.

Economically it would make sence for Apple to switch the iMac as soon as possible from Yonah to Conroe.

At the same price point a Conroe is faster than a Merom (and much faster than a Yonah )

Code:

Yonah

T27002.33GHz$637

T26002.16GHz$423

T25002.00GHz$294

Merom

T76002.33Ghz$640

T74002.16GHz$420

T72002.00GHz$295

Conroe

E67002.67GHz$529

E66002.40GHz$316

Yonah will get a price drop as soon as Merom arrives but the Conroe will still be faster at the same price point.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If they take out the PSU or if they introduce a 23" model then yes, a Conroe iMac is possible. Otherwise, I don't think that the iMac in the 17"-20" form factor would handle well the heat without raising the noise to annoying levels. And as Apple for the last (many) years miniaturize more and more their computers, a trend that does not seem to change, don't expect a Conroe iMac if they let it as is now (that is with the internal PSU and only 17" and 20" models). In this case look for Merom based iMac on Apple Expo.

And if they'll use Conroe you can expect them as early as tomorrow, tuesday, july 17th
  • Reply 23 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

And if they'll use Conroe you can expect them as early as tomorrow, tuesday, july 17th

You mean Tuesday, July 18... Well, frankly no.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    You're right.

Tuesday, July 18th

or 25th
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

You're right.

Tuesday july 18th

Don't worry, the :lol was not for the date but for the part:

Quote:

And if they'll use Conroe

as opposed to my not so few 'if's.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Wouldn't Apple be smart to get the Conroe chip in something right away so as to stay up with the other computer makers who will be doing the same? Conroe is supposed to be released sometime in the next week or so, meaning an announcement should be in about the same timeframe, right? This is my first post so I could very well be wrong -- but it makes sense to me.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

Economically it would make sence for Apple to switch the iMac as soon as possible from Yonah to Conroe.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Conroe is faster and cheaper than Merom and makes way more sense in a desktop machine than Merom. I hope this goes in the iMac and not Merom.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Get some sense of humor. And try to feel what the others say. Ireland's statement to me looks like a wishful thinking based estimation.

He talks about major update. In the meantime there would be a routine, minor one.

Right on brother.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    double post...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

[B]Get some sense of humor. And try to feel what the others say. Ireland's statement to me looks like a wishful thinking based estimation.

Oh come on.. I knew someone was going to take offense. I simply thought he could've given a reason for his post.. You know.. some insight as to why he came to that conclusion.

Kind of like everyone else who's posted in this thread.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

Oh come on.. I knew someone was going to take offense. I simply thought he could've given a reason for his post.. You know.. some insight as to why he came to that conclusion.

It is not because I took offence, since I didn't. I see what you mean, but look again at your own phrasing:

Quote:

Ireland.. Prove it. You can't just come on here and say this is how it is and not explain how you've come to that conclusion.

You seemed to take all that too seriously. But this is a speculation board and no one has to prove anything.

If one has inside info or arguments, then good, we are here to read and judge for ourselves.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    i think we're going in circles.. but that's okay! I enjoy good discussion, and you clearly have a better handle on these boards than I do.

Here's hoping we see Core 2 Duo's soon..