external monitor and firefox

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my dell 2001 fp monitor and plugged it into my MBP and it works wonderfully! However I just noticed a problem.

I put Firefox onto the big monitor and maximise it and i have lots of space which is pretty nifty. However.

Whenever a drop down menu comes along IE an RSS it appears on the OTHER monitor

How would I fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Submit a bug report to the Firefox developers.. Seriously.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Happens with many X11 programs too.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I too have that problem.

One solution would be to use Camino website

which, as they bill it is "Mozilla Power, Mac Style"

The downside is that your extensions/themes/etc. from Firefox won't work, which is a problem for me, since I absolutely must have the Tidy plugin, which is only available for Firefox.

The menus open in the display that has the system menu and dock, so you can either move Firefox to that Display, or move the systemmenu to your external display (In the 'Arrangement' tab grab the grey bar at the top of the main display and move it to the other display)

Other than that, the best solution has already been mentioned: wait for a fix.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I get the same problem. It's likely a problem with Firefox. It would seem that the Mac Firefox developers don't use multiple monitors, though admittedly, before last fall, only two Mac product lines officially supported multiple monitors in a non-mirror setup, that would be the PowerBook and PowerMac.