Nvidia to help power next-gen video iPod

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hate to pour water on the gaming speculation, but... what if the advanced graphics chip is required only for better H.264 decoding and transparency/alpha channel processing of a full screen iPod touch interface?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    I think there's probably enough water to go around for both the gaming and the touch screen. Time will tell.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Agreed, I think the iPod is a great platform to extend into games. If I recall correctly they also have one of those "sudden drop" accelerometers to protect the HD, which would allow for Wii-like input.

That's a very cool idea. But you can't move the controller around too much when the screen's on it.

--B
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Yeah, I thought about that too. Although I guess you could have a "game bundle" including video goggles, but really that's just silly talk. It'd be great until you were playing a baseball sim and realized you just accidentally chucked your iPod across the subway at 80mph. Or better yet brained the dude playing guitar for change with your sword parry.

But really I was thinking more along the lines of slight yaw/roll/translation. It'd sure as hell make for a great game of Marble Madness.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    But will Apple bite into gaming? I like the idea, but they might be too late in the game. If what you say is true (and I hope you are!) I would consider the classic. For the money why would I not? Thanks for the reply. It such a relief to talk to Apple folks when I'm stuck in a windows environment all...day...long.

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Mozzarella

This will probably be a new line of devices with a larger form factor but not necessarily more expensive.

iPod shuffle

iPod nano

iPod classic

iPod video/games/PSP killer

iPod phone

The PSP currently retails for $199

The DS Lite retails for about $139

Apple should be able to price it competitively since they will probably have greater economies of scale.

Nintendo and Sony only sell about 5 million units a yr in the US.

Apple is selling way more iPods each quarter.

• Reply 46 of 51
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JeffDM

If it is for a portable media player, then it could allow decoding of 1080p media out to an HDTV...

Hi Jeff Umm.... How much 1080p content can you fit onto a 100GB Video iPod
  • Reply 47 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

If it is for a portable media player, then it could allow decoding of 1080p media out to an HDTV...

Hi Jeff Umm.... How much 1080p content can you fit onto a 100GB Video iPod

It's a sample of just one (yes, it's bad to use just one sample, but oh well), but based on one 1080p QT trailer found on Apple's site, but it looks like about 20 hours.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

It's a sample of just one (yes, it's bad to use just one sample, but oh well), but based on one 1080p QT trailer found on Apple's site, but it looks like about 20 hours.

Is 1080p just a vague hope on your part? You realise how much computing power it takes to decode 1080p. These drives are also slow. I'm not sure that they can stream fast enough to get the signal off in realtime. even H.264 requires a hefty throughput for 1080p. Battery power would also be an issue.

I would be happy with 720 x 480.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Is 1080p just a vague hope on your part? You realise how much computing power it takes to decode 1080p. These drives are also slow. I'm not sure that they can stream fast enough to get the signal off in realtime. even H.264 requires a hefty throughput for 1080p. Battery power would also be an issue.

I would be happy with 720 x 480.

I admit it was a bit fanciful, but I didn't have any hopes invested. I don't have an HDTV yet but the videos that I see are the reason that I want one.

I assumed that the chips could decode it. I looked up the chip specs, 480p decode is the best the chip can get. My mistake.

Battery life would be an issue. I would hope that the drives can sustain 10Mbps though, they have to be able to run an operating system. Toshiba's spec sheet for their 80GB 1.8" drive says 165Mbps+, so the data rate by itself shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't think 1080p was likely though.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    It's cool, we'll put 1080p movies on the wishlist next to HalfLife3:iPod edition.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

I admit it was a bit fanciful, but I didn't have any hopes invested. I don't have an HDTV yet but the videos that I see are the reason that I want one.

I assumed that the chips could decode it. I looked up the chip specs, 480p decode is the best the chip can get. My mistake.

Battery life would be an issue. I would hope that the drives can sustain 10Mbps though, they have to be able to run an operating system. Toshiba's spec sheet for their 80GB 1.8" drive says 165Mbps+, so the data rate by itself shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't think 1080p was likely though.

Don't forget that the drive spec is an internal spec that doesn't apply to outside transfers. That's like saying that the SATA bus having 3Mb/s transfer rates means that the drives do as well.