Problems charging PowerBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey folks, wondering if anyone can help me with this...

I've got a PowerBook G4 Alu 1.25Ghz 15".

We've got problems charging it. It *will* charge, but if you knock the wire, it stops charging, and you have to twist it to get it to a position where it's charging again.

The pin in the charger cord doesn't appear bent, however you can wobble it a lot when it's plugged into the laptop.

Do you think this is a problem with the cord or the laptop? Either way is it a common problem and is it fixable?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's a very common problem. It's not the power adapter, unfortunately. My iBook has had that problem for the last 2 years. There is something loose or worn in the socket on the motherboard.

Short of replacing the motherboard, all you can do is remember to twist it until you get the "lightning bolt" icon on the Battery menu bar icon.

I suppose one could try getting some very thin electronics foil and carefully wrapping it around the plug, paying attention to the insulator between the two conducting bands. Haven't felt like it was worth the time in my case.

Someone should search and see if any bright person has come up with a fix for making the plug connect more securely. I haven't come across anything that deals with this issue.