It's hard watching a DVD on a MacBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Other than the fact the internal speakers sound a little odd (expected), I find it quite difficult to adjust the video settings because the black levels are very hard to see. Usually the entire region is jet black and if you move your head it becomes a mirror.

I guess that's the nature of a laptop screen. Anyone notice that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    It's probably because the screen has a mirrored coating on it, unlike the iBook series laptops so there is a glare effect. Not sure why Apple went with a screen like that though, I can see how it would be difficult to watch a movie that way.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well not so much glare, since a tv with shiny glass glares much worse.

Just really, the contrast levels of the blacks.. like someone's black jacket, or black hair, etc. All the detail often disappears and you just see a black region rather than texture like you would get on a standard tv.

I was able to fiddle with the contrast and brightness settings in the apple dvd player and got it a lot better. Still have to be careful though with the viewing angle and room light conditions. I'll have to find a dvd calibration disc somewhere and see how I can do with it.

I also noticed the color lcd profile was definitely designed with an eye towards human skin tones in mind, because while a movie was playing, I tried different profiles, including some I made myself, and the tones did not look as nice. So I recommend use of the color lcd profile it shipped with.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Technarch

Just really, the contrast levels of the blacks.. like someone's black jacket, or black hair, etc. All the detail often disappears and you just see a black region rather than texture like you would get on a standard tv.

I prefer it that way. I don't have a Macbook but I've seen it and I love the screen. I keep my CRT setup so that blacks are jet black. I just find the colours look richer that way. When I saw the matte MB Pro and glossy MB next to each other, the MB just looked amazing with much more vivid colours. I admit there was more reflection but not any more than I get off a CRT.