Wi-Fi seen limiting battery life on MS iPod rival

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

rather insulting & over the top.

I'm inclined to agree with Wings. Generally speaking, I can't imagine what the hell I'd do with Wireless in a portable "iPod Killer" - unless it was to stream music from Point A to Point B in my house. I'm sure not going to be surfing for new tunes on my Zune's micro-screen at some wireless hot spot "out in the world" & I can't see a lot of other people doing that either. Maybe MS has some amazing new way of "doing" music & wireless that none of us can conceive of, right?

I also wonder, what does the Wireless feature do to the size-factor of the Zune? Seems like it'd increase the size. Already the Zune is sounding larger/heavier than the iPod.

user23, sometimes even the most brilliant people make insane statements.. here is a sample

1927 Who the hell wants to hear actors talk? (H M Warner of Warner Brothers)

1927 The modern computer hovers between the obsolescent and the nonexistent. (Sydney Brenner)

1939 The problem with television is that the people must sit and keep their eyes glued on a screen: the average American family hasn't time for it. (The New York Times)

1943 I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. (?Thomas Watson of IBM)

1946 [Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night. (Darryl F Zanuck)

1949 It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful with such statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years. (John von Neumann)

1954 Why would you want more than one machine language? (John von Neumann)

1957 I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year. (Editor of business books for Prentice Hall)

1968 What the hell is [a microprocessor] good for? (Robert Lloyd of IBM's Advanced Computing Systems Division)

1977 There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. (Ken Olson of Digital Equipment)

1984 The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a mouse. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. (John Dvorak)

1986 UNIX is dead, but no one bothered to claim the body. (John Dvorak)

1988 Computer viruses are an urban myth. (Peter Norton)

1994 I see little commercial potential for the Internet for at least ten years. (Bill Gates)

1995 I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse. (Robert Metcalfe)

1998 Folks, the Mac platform is through - totally. (John Dvorak)

And now, added to the list

Generally speaking, I can't imagine what the hell I'd do with Wireless in a portable "iPod Killer" (user23, in appleinsider forum 7/25/2006).
  • Reply 62 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

My notebook is only worth $200, I don't see how it makes me well-off.

Ok, cause if i wanted to walk around with something as big as a notebook, i'd buy a Sony PSP instead of a ipod nano?.

Does that excuse grab you or do i have to keep coming up with reasons i do not want to walk around with a notebook?.

Apologies to Sony, i am sure a PSP is smaller than a notebook (the post above was just tongue in cheek).. Jeff.. there are lots of people who are not geeks. I admit i am a geek and i tell you, even i get tired of walking around with my laptop. I mean, i get tired LOTS of times Jeff. Maybe yours is a fashion accessory so you don't mind walking everywhere with it but i mind. Can i wirelessly update my music Jeff those times i don't feel like packing the notebook Jeff?.. is that ok with you?
  • Reply 63 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wnurse

Ok, cause if i wanted to walk around with something as big as a notebook, i'd buy a Sony PSP instead of a ipod nano?.

Does that excuse grab you or do i have to keep coming up with reasons i do not want to walk around with a notebook?.

Why would you need to walk around with the notebook again? Are you talking your home city or away?
  • Reply 64 of 101
    Quote:

Why would you need to walk around with the notebook again?

Hmmm... ok, you pulling my leg now.. but i'll reply (well, cause i don't know, i just like replying).. we were talking about updating our music on a player when not at home?.. i believe you made the point we can walk with the notebook hence dispensing with need for wireless?.. you know what forget it..

yeah, why are we walking around with the notebook again?.

Over and out.. gotta to go be productive folks.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Nothing like kicking yourself in the teeth. I'm sure MS could design and make a nice iPod killer - the chances are however that it will be overhyped and fail to meet expectations - much like Vista. Although who knows - this could turn out to be a good product like IE7.

It most likely will be very disappointing and not able to measure up to the ipod.. luckily for MS, they don't seem to have a problem losing billions while trying to get a product right (see the Xbox). The scary thing for Apple is MS might get lucky at some point and you how the herd mentality is. It seems a large portion of the population seems predisposed to giving MS their hard earned money. Next 5 years, John Dvorak will be writing about how Apple is attempting to catch up with microsoft in the portable player and how the ipod is dead.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Hmmm... ok, you pulling my leg now.. but i'll reply (well, cause i don't know, i just like replying).. we were talking about updating our music on a player when not at home?.. i believe you made the point we can walk with the notebook hence dispensing with need for wireless?.. you know what forget it..

To be honest, I still don't see the point yet. If you're not traveling, then I don't see the problem. I just don't see the attraction or need to update it more than once a day. Maybe if you were streaming internet audio, but that's still quite a bit less useful than FM or XM, those don't just suddenly fade out after 100ft away from the AP. WiMax would be cool, but streaming over wireless still presents battery issues.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

[i]

Generally speaking, I can't imagine what the hell I'd do with Wireless in a portable "iPod Killer" (user23, in appleinsider forum 7/25/2006). [/B]

I may live to eat my words.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Quote:

To be honest, I still don't see the point yet. If you're not traveling, then I don't see the problem. I just don't see the attraction or need to update it more than once a day. Maybe if you were streaming internet audio, but that's still quite a bit less useful than FM or XM, those don't just suddenly fade out after 100ft away from the AP. WiMax would be cool, but streaming over wireless still presents battery issues.

To us oldies, perhaps not but to the teeny bop generation?.. hell yeah. My cousins that are in their teens change their cell phones every 6 months (it's insane i agree.. i shake my head at that). Why would anyone need to constantly upgrade their cell phones other than to look cool all the time?. I know for fact that sometimes after i leave the house, i don't care to listen to some of the music on my player anymore and wish i could change it (and i am not a teeny bopper with a short attention span). Trust me on this one Jeff.. this player will find a market. You will be perplexed at why but many, many teens will want one (provided MS markets it correctly and it looks cool. The marketing i don't doubt but the coolness factor.. hmmm.. yeah.. even the Xbox looks ugly!!). MS might have to steal a few designers from apple.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

You jest surely? Weird interface, non-moveable toolbars and CSS support that is still years behind the rest of the industry.

But if you're not jesting, perhaps your idea of a good product is so low that Zune might succeed.

I think IE7 is the best piece of software Microsoft has ever written.

As far as RSS is concerned I prefer its implementation to FireFox's.

Edit - sorry I'm very tired - you said CSS not RSS, yes that is true!
  • Reply 70 of 101
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Although for me in the UK, Wifi is infinitely more useful than XM. I can't see Apple adding something that is only available in the USA.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    Quote:

To us oldies, perhaps not but to the teeny bop generation?.. hell yeah.

Couple it with Microsoft's rumoured myspace/msn type social networking and I'll agree.

I still can't work out what is so good about myspace or msn. Both of which suck seven shades of ass, but are more popular than pretty much anything with one survey saying myspace had surpassed google recently!

Even if I'm sat wondering why a site I could have knocked up in an idle weekend is so popular (except mine wouldn't be so shit), teens and kids think it's great. Of course I'm just jealous I didn't think of it but then I'd have major issues foisting such dross on the world.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

user23, sometimes even the most brilliant people make insane statements.. here is a sample

1927 Who the hell wants to hear actors talk? (H M Warner of Warner Brothers)

1927 The modern computer hovers between the obsolescent and the nonexistent. (Sydney Brenner)

1939 The problem with television is that the people must sit and keep their eyes glued on a screen: the average American family hasn't time for it. (The New York Times)

1943 I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. (?Thomas Watson of IBM)

1946 [Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night. (Darryl F Zanuck)

1949 It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful with such statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years. (John von Neumann)

1954 Why would you want more than one machine language? (John von Neumann)

1957 I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year. (Editor of business books for Prentice Hall)

1968 What the hell is [a microprocessor] good for? (Robert Lloyd of IBM's Advanced Computing Systems Division)

1977 There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. (Ken Olson of Digital Equipment)

1984 The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a mouse. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. (John Dvorak)

1986 UNIX is dead, but no one bothered to claim the body. (John Dvorak)

1988 Computer viruses are an urban myth. (Peter Norton)

1994 I see little commercial potential for the Internet for at least ten years. (Bill Gates)

1995 I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse. (Robert Metcalfe)

1998 Folks, the Mac platform is through - totally. (John Dvorak)

And now, added to the list

Generally speaking, I can't imagine what the hell I'd do with Wireless in a portable "iPod Killer" (user23, in appleinsider forum 7/25/2006).

Those are all well known quotes. But that doesn't mean that everything someone comes up with will be a success. There are actually bad ideas.

By saying that WiFi doesn't work in a handheld now, doesn't mean that in several years it still won't. But for the next couple of years, at least, it serves little function.

When you can walk down the street using it, and there is no signal drop out, and your handheld doesn't die after an hour or two, it may become viable. Until then, no.

But at the same time Bluetooth is also advancing, and EV-DO is here, and also advancing. There are other wireless technologies that phone companies and phone manufacturers are working on as well.

By the time WiFi becomes feasible for a handheld, it may very well become obsolete.

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. There are more wireless technologies that the limited range WiFi.

All of the quotes above relate to what you are saying about WiFi, because they are talking about a much broader range than you are. If we said that wireless will never work on a handheld, then you could pull out those quotes, but otherwise, no.

Now, I know that you kind of squeezed in "wireless" instead of the WiFi you have been fighting for. But none of us is objecting to "wireless", it's WiFi that we disagree with you on here.

We can change some of those quotes to correspond to the specificity of WiFi in that context.

"1943 I think there is a world market for maybe five *RCA* computers. (?Thomas Watson of IBM)"

"1949 It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve with *tubed* computer technology, although one should be careful with such statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years. (John von Neumann)"

"1986 *Assembler* is dead, but no one bothered to claim the body. (John Dvorak)"

I could do more.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That was an unnecessarily insulting post. You should apologize to Wings. You can make your point without going through that.

This reinforces my belief that a self-policing board is the best way to go. It's called "peer pressure" and it works. I have a story about this. A vice president of a company I used to work for devised a system of peer pressure to cut down on reported workers comp claims at his workplace. He came up with a system that would reward all of the workers on the factory floor if the "days without an accident" were zero for each quarter. The other workers forced the injured worker to just get fixed up without filing a claim since everyone stood to benefit only if no reports were filed. I don't know about the legality of this scheme, but damn, it worked like magic.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

This reinforces my belief that a self-policing board is the best way to go. Peer pressure.

But it doesn't always work. I've been insulted by a couple if people who were REALLY insulting. No one came and commented on it. The same person does this not only to me, but to others. Never has he been called on it. Sadly, not even the moderators here do their jobs properly.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    Quote:

But it doesn't always work. I've been insulted by a couple if people who were REALLY insulting. No one came and commented on it. The same person does this not only to me, but to others. Never has he been called on it. Sadly, not even the moderators here do their jobs properly.

So have I, Mel... so have I been grievously insulted, especially in my early days on the BBSes (for those new to the game, this means Bulletin Board System, which was the precursor to the Net).

HAVING SAID THAT, opinions are like a-holes, as they say... and free speech is better than no speech. I'll take the good with the bad.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

So have I, Mel... so have I been grievously insulted, especially in my early days on the BBSes (for those new to the game, this means Bulletin Board System, which was the precursor to the Net).

There was an awful lot less back then though as you'd have to wait 24 hours for Fidonet to deliver your mail.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

There was an awful lot less back then though as you'd have to wait 24 hours for Fidonet to deliver your mail.

That's true. At Compuserve there wasn't much of anything at 300 baud.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:

That's true. At Compuserve there wasn't much of anything at 300 baud.

We were all newbies at one point.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

This is where the iPod phone comes in. My treo 700p has EV-DO. This isn't as fast as WiFi, but it's plenty fast as it is. I clock between 400Kbs to almost 1Mbs anywhere I am. Including on the 43rd floor office of my wife's building in Queens. Try WiFi there.

Until WiFi is ubiquitous, as EV-DO is fast becoming, it simply is marginal. And EV-DO itself is getting faster. We will see 2Mbs before too long, and possibly even higher.

I would rather have that speed all over, than a higher one in a few spots here and there.

Bingo. This is why I said the iPod phone would have trouble being of use on networks other than Verizon, Sprint, and a handful of far eastern networks. As it turns out, mac users without EV-DO get really pissy when someone mentions this.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Bingo. This is why I said the iPod phone would have trouble being of use on networks other than Verizon, Sprint, and a handful of far eastern networks. As it turns out, mac users without EV-DO get really pissy when someone mentions this.

You do read the previous posts. I wish more people would.

WiFi is thought of as a panacea. Someday we will have very fast mobile internet service, I'm doubtful that it will be WiFi however. The technology isn't suited for that. That wasn't the point to it.

So, maybe we will have some cities with overall coverage. fine! So what happens when we are just outside of that coverage, such as on the highway? In a small town? WiFi wasn't meant for wide range coverage. There are WiFi antenna's that will give pretty wide coverage, but it's not nearly as good as a cell tower. It could take a hundred times as many WiFi transmitter/recievers to cover an area as broad cell towers can

My phone can be used as a modem through the USB port as well. Not bad..