64bit Macbook ??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i think the new Macbook pro will have the Core 2 duo processor. but what about its younger brother?

the Macbook, will it just stick with a better Core Duo? .. or will we have the chance to get a core 2 duo in it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

the Macbook, will it just stick with a better Core Duo? .. or will we have the chance to get a core 2 duo in it?

My guess is that for this round at least, it will remain with a Core Duo 32-bit.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    I'm thinking sometime in the middle of next year or later on.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    the macbook is not getting the core2 duo untill production ramps up ( later in the yr, maybe mwsf or a silent upgrade) but if apple does not drop the price, they are getting it as soon as posible. Apple is not going to be able to compete with the rest of the industry at those prices with core duo, everyone is going to use core2duo at those price points and core duo for the less expensive lines, and apple does not compete there.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    maybe there will be a 13" Macbook pro. that will really be great.

one question though, is the 13" screen good enough for movies? and some gaming?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    How do you know the MacBook won't be using Core 2? The problem for Apple here is that this isnt the PPC era anymore, they can't cripple their hardware to make the more expensive laptops look better. Many other manfacturers will probably be using Core 2 in computers cheaper than the MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I don't think a Core Duo qualifies as 'crippled'...
  • Reply 7 of 38
    xflare, you and i , are looking at this from the same perspective. By Apple getting in bed with Intel, they no longer control the general pricing nor features that go into their models. All this is determined by the market and how it compares to other brands.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

xflare, you and i , are looking at this from the same perspective. By Apple getting in bed with Intel, they no longer control the general pricing nor features that go into their models. All this is determined by the market and how it compares to other brands.

I concur as well, if Dell, HP, Sony, and Gateway all have Core2Duos for a little over $1,000 Apple needs to compete.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Like the others have said, Apple can no longer "artificially cripple" their lower end hardware just to make the upper end hardware look better. Even though they are not really competing with Windows machines, there's no way to avoid being compared to every other Intel-based laptop/desktop systems anymore.

Apple went with Yonah across the board for the Intel machines so far because it was all that was available that met their needs. They currently have every Intel machine they sell using the same chip, with only a few differences in MHz ratings and video specs essentially separating the models.

Since Merom pricing is EXACTLY the same as Yonah when it first came out, there is no reason not to assume that Apple can't/won't replace their entire Yonah-based lineup with a Merom based lineup all at once. As long as Intel has a large enough supply of the chips, Apple can do it. They will still separate the machines with only a few differences in MHz ratings and video specs just as they do now.

So let's see...Apple can add Merom to every single Intel-based Mac currently available with nothing more than a firmware upgrade (if that) and keep the Macs priced exactly the same and make the same exact profit and they won't do that...why? I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

Merom across the board before the end of 2007, period. (With the exception of the Mac Pro which will have Woodcrest, and the iMac which probably will get the Conroe because it's actually cheaper than Merom.)
  • Reply 10 of 38
    ensoniq, you summed it up really well. For all the rambling thats going on , which line is getting which chip, if apple does not do what we all have stated, then they are most definitly taking us for suckers and we shall pay what we deserve for some crummy machines. the only thing that the apple tax applies to

is OS X and nothing more.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

Like the others have said, Apple can no longer "artificially cripple" their lower end hardware just to make the upper end hardware look better. Even though they are not really competing with Windows machines, there's no way to avoid being compared to every other Intel-based laptop/desktop systems anymore.

Apple went with Yonah across the board for the Intel machines so far because it was all that was available that met their needs. They currently have every Intel machine they sell using the same chip, with only a few differences in MHz ratings and video specs essentially separating the models.

Since Merom pricing is EXACTLY the same as Yonah when it first came out, there is no reason not to assume that Apple can't/won't replace their entire Yonah-based lineup with a Merom based lineup all at once. As long as Intel has a large enough supply of the chips, Apple can do it. They will still separate the machines with only a few differences in MHz ratings and video specs just as they do now.

So let's see...Apple can add Merom to every single Intel-based Mac currently available with nothing more than a firmware upgrade (if that) and keep the Macs priced exactly the same and make the same exact profit and they won't do that...why? I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

Merom across the board before the end of 2007, period. (With the exception of the Mac Pro which will have Woodcrest, and the iMac which probably will get the Conroe because it's actually cheaper than Merom.)

Why not keep Yonah and drop prices on Macbooks. Maybe the entry level model can start at $750. If Apple is determined to keep current price points then I guess they'll have to migrate Macbooks to Merom. I personally hope they keep Yonah and lower prices. Yonah is a pretty powerful processor for an entry level notebook computer IMO.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    when was the last time Apple had a portable that cost about 700 to 800 bucks?? i dont remember
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

when was the last time Apple had a portable that cost about 700 to 800 bucks?? i dont remember

When was the last time Apple had more than two chips to choose from? My point is that Apple now has a variety of chips and hardware components to choose from and can configure systems to attract buyers from lower price points, all the while keeping their high profit margins. I'm not saying that they will do this, only that I think they should do this.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    opnsourceopnsource Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

i think the new Macbook pro will have the Core 2 duo processor. but what about its younger brother?

I want to know what Apple plans to do about the heat issues with the current chips. I used a MBP 17" and that beast got wicked hot! Will they run in to even hotter temps with the Core 2 Duo?
  • Reply 15 of 38
    you have a point, i agree with you in the availability of chips, but i dont think they should go that low, im afraid it will cheapen the brand overall. People associate inexpensive with being cheap, it might have that effect. The mini is inexpensive by apple standards but you can find pc at a lower price. You are right the availability of a broader range of chips does change everything
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

you have a point, i agree with you in the availability of chips, but i dont think they should go that low, im afraid it will cheapen the brand overall. People associate inexpensive with being cheap, it might have that effect. The mini is inexpensive by apple standards but you can find pc at a lower price. You are right the availability of a broader range of chips does change everything

Apple is a luxury brand, they like that image. Even their low end stands for quality.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by RoamingGnome

Apple is a luxury brand, they like that image. Even their low end stands for quality.

Inexpensive does not have to equal POS. In addition, entry level notebook pcs start even lower than this. Dell notebook pcs 'start' at $450. I'm all for giving power to the masses but does a college student really need a Merom notebook? Wouldn't a yonah Macbook really fit their needs as well?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Inexpensive does not have to equal POS. In addition, entry level notebook pcs start even lower than this. Dell notebook pcs 'start' at $450. I'm all for giving power to the masses but does a college student really need a Merom notebook? Wouldn't a yonah Macbook really fit their needs as well?

I agree. Just because the Meroms will be better doesn't immediately consign the yonahs to the POS pile. Apple should use both and lower the price of the Core Duos.

Apple sell keyboards for £35 and mice for around the same. They have already thrown away a lot of that image of being expensive. Their Macbooks are half the price of some equivalent-spec Sony machines.

I like it this way.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    i'm not so sure intel is going to waste time putting out old core duos when everyone is screaming for core2 duo.

is there a official statement on when intel will stop producing core duos?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

ensoniq, you summed it up really well.

No he didn't.

The MacBook Pro came out in January, the MacBook came out in May. Yonah had significant price cuts in that time. Merom's prices are going to be the same as the January Yonah prices.

Since January, the margin on the MacBook Pro has risen significantly. Apple cannot put Merom into its line-up and maintain its current margins. Apple can put Merom into the MacBook Pro, and take the margin for that machine back to what it was in January.

Putting Merom into the MacBook would eliminate most of its profit. Of course, Yonah is going to have more price cuts soon. I hope that Apple stick with Yonah in the MacBook and reduce the price a bit (bring the starting price to $999).