An Apple-AMD fantasy

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
apple/AMD collaborate on a new computer that runs all three major OS: Mac (both OS 9 and 10), MS and Unix. Only Apple produces these computers, so MS doesn't blow their tops.

I guess that would quaklify as "revolutionary."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ptrash:

<strong>apple/AMD collaborate on a new computer that runs all three major OS: Mac (both OS 9 and 10), MS and Unix. Only Apple produces these computers, so MS doesn't blow their tops.

I guess that would quaklify as "revolutionary."</strong><hr></blockquote>

and at only $4000 it's as cheap as it gets!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Sounds a lot like CHERP &lt;guess&gt;Common Hardware Engineering Reference Platform&lt;/guess&gt;. I saw a few articles on such an architecture in MacWorld and MacUser some years back. Then again, I still have the Copeland, BeOS, Rhapsody, and PowerPC processor clone (not Mac clones) issues.

As I recall, the idea called for both Macs and PCs to adopt a common set of interfaces and ports in replacement of each platforms "proprietary" ports. Eventually, motherboards would become standardized, and a machine could be made that contained both a PPC and an x86 processor. I believe the Mac's onboard ROM would also be ditched. It was also reportedly going to lower the cost of Macs, as they would be using standardized components.

Though the idea went stale, we did get Macs with fewer Mac-specific components out of the deal (Firewire, UBS, AGP, PC-100/133 SDRAM, etc.) and a smaller on-board ROM. Can't say much about the prices though...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If Apple machines start to run MS programs, MicroBrains will pull out the old "SquashEmQuick" plans and obliterate our favorite fruit company. And THAT will cause the Feds to come in and REALLY take a bit out of monopolistic crime.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    CHERP was awsome, but Apple let it die.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Actually it's CHRP(Common Hardware Reference Platform) Called CHiRP for short. Motorola was a big proponent of CHiRP. I agree ...would have been nice to see these systems running.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    I agree with Mr. Woods.

It would somehow admit defeat.