Anybody fancy helping me set up 10.4 Server?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have recently purchased 10.4 OS X Server, and I think I have underestimated just how complicated it is configure a server properly.

Whilst I am fairly au fait with Tiger, I have absolutely no experience with Server.

Does anybody fancy giving me a hand?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i'm going to lurk on this thread and take notes -- going to get osx server later this year and am in the same boat as you 8)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Basically, I'd like to keep all my assets on the server. Those assets include all of my work related files, fonts, music, pictures – the usual stuff.

I'd also like to be able to access these assets whilst I'm out and about – so I 'think' I'll need to set up a 'VPN'.

Obviously the whole thing will have to be reasonably secure, so I'm guessing that it'll have to be protected by a firewall. I also like the sound of a server that can collect all the software updates and make them available to the clients.

AT the moment I have:

An ADSL subscription

An ADSL modem/router

A 1Gbps hub

A suitable Power Mac

10.4 Server software

Various external devices (printers, drives etc)

A single Static IP address provided by my ISP
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I've never been able to get it installed. It seems to want to be installed over an existing Mac OS X client, but when I try that I get an error.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    OSX Server itself isn't that diffcult. It's all the stuff you need to do with it.

Half the problems most people run into for OSX Server is like any other server, Networking.

If you're not really all that scavy being a Network System admin, you may need to pick up a book or two about networking.

Though howstuffworks.com+wikipedia is pretty good if you know enough, but not enough to get everything to talk to each other.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Watch it if you are hooking up to a pppoe connection, and need to use it for NAT. For some idiotic reason (per the tech guys at apple) it will NOT stay latched on to the pppoe eth#. Oreilly has a page on it, I forget where -- I ended up having to edit the conf to get it working.

If you are having trouble with NAT, you can bet that's that's the problem.

Also, don't be afraid to burn through you complementary support that comes with the software.

Also, goto Lynda.com and check out their training --- they have one just for 10.4 server.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Jeez I think I need to get hold of a networking book, right enough!