iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

Hopefully not.

Nice feature.

I really was amazed when it came out.

But like every gimmick and although the better proportioned but screaming expensive 17" version of summer 2002 came out, I got bored within a year.

It had to much added complexity without much added functionality.

What's not functional about the current iMac?

You mean a chrome Apple is functional?

Even the much whinned chin has a function.

If you've ever seen one and looked more than 5 seconds at it, you would have known that the current iMac is almost the perfect AIO.

Why are most hightech geeks so f$%king conservative?

Everything new is boohood and whinned about. Bullshit.

What do you think a 15" iMac would have looked like if the wanted to put everything behind the screen?

Try to imagine.

Steve Jobs wanted a kind of screen on a stick.

The iMacG4 as we know it, was the best solution that was technologically possible at that time. They came up with a rounded Cube with a stick and a screen on it. Not a real bigdeal: a rather large base with a tiny screen. (and 2.5 years later people started whinning about a dissproportional chin )

When larger screens became more affordable and the technology evolved, Apple was eventually able to make the iMac like it should be... Albeit the highly whinned chin.Actually the so called "slightly ugly chin" grows on you in time.

And after a while when you look at an ACD you'll conclude that something is missing. It doesn't look... balanced.

I experienced both and the iMacG4 won't be missed.

Suspect I have trodden on some sensitive toes. I did not have the intention of praising the iMacG4 endlessly, but rather was indicating my preference for an adjustable screen in any new iMac to be introduced (hopefully in six months or so) I personally still question the elegance factor of the current unit, but if you put one on my desk, you will have trouble getting it back.

There will almost cetainly be a form of screen adjustment, with a much higher speed chip together with a more elegant design, in the next iMac, we may have to wait 12 months for all this to come together though
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Like many I'd like to see a Mac Pro mini. But like Apple don't want the mini taking sales from the iMac, they wouldn't want a Mac Pro mini taking sales from the Mac Pro. So specs for a Mac Pro mini would have to be something like:

1 x Conroe

Max 4GB RAM

2 x HD bay

1 x Optical Drive bay

double height 16x PCIe for graphics card (no other PCIe slots)

built in wi-fi

The Mac Pro mini like the Mac Pro could be highly configurable.

It should be aimed more at the enthusiast and low end models should retail for less than a 17" iMac (after all it has no monitor and wouldn't need to use any mobile components which are more expensive)). Everything from CPU to video card could be upgraded post purchase (assuming compatibilty). A model like this may cause more PC Users to convert (especially since they would have a choice of GPU and can still play games via bootcamp). Because it would be cheaper than an equivalently specced iMac, owners could upgrade to a new Mac more frequently.

For those wondering why we don't have any announcement yet of current Core machines being upgraded to Core 2. Remember Apple sell very few models of Mac. When a new model comes out, they stop selling the model that it replaces. To do this they need a good supply of components. And the rumour is that Apple won't get a decent supply of Core 2's from Intel until September.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    The public doesn't want imac's right now. They want macbooks and ipods. BBasically portables. But Apple obviously wants the imac. So I think what they may do is take the insides of the macbook and put it into a new imac enclosure that is only an inch and half thick and loses the "chin". Basically they're cutting out the baby fat the current imac has and making it a very minimalist machine. And offer it in both black and white starting at $999.

That's my theory.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    kswksw Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

The public doesn't want imac's right now. They want macbooks and ipods. BBasically portables. But Apple obviously wants the imac. So I think what they may do is take the insides of the macbook and put it into a new imac enclosure that is only an inch and half thick and loses the "chin". Basically they're cutting out the baby fat the current imac has and making it a very minimalist machine. And offer it in both black and white starting at $999.

That's my theory.

Just to throw the question out to everyone: what are the chances that the imac will be retired or substantially modified once Apple stops producing with the duo core?
  • Reply 25 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksw

Just to throw the question out to everyone: what are the chances that the imac will be retired or substantially modified once Apple stops producing with the duo core?

I find it hard to believe Apple would retire the computer that returned them to the mainstream so many years ago. I think we'll always have an iMac of some form. But hey, what do I know.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksw

I don't agree with the proposition behind the question. The iMac is not selling well? Is there any concrete (not anecdotal) evidence for that?

Apple—specifically, Jobs—wanted to produce the Cube, too, but when the numbers didn't pan out they stopped selling it. I imagine that no matter how much they might "want" to produce the iMac, they'll retire it when it stops selling, too, if their marketing data indicate that it's not selling because nobody wants a desktop in that price range.

Given that the iMac is basically a PowerBook priced like an iBook, only with bigger and brighter screens than either, I don't see demand going away any time soon. If you don't need to tote it around it's awfully tempting. The power/cost ratio will likely favor desktops into the indefinite future, or at least until the Tesla worshippers figure out 120v wireless power.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

The public doesn't want imac's right now. They want macbooks and ipods. BBasically portables.

oooh, you're lucky you said, "that's my theory." at the end there.

*packs flame thrower back into case regretfully \ *

I guess there'll be another chance...
  • Reply 28 of 81
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    I would definitely buy a Black 23" with Conroe cpu, i might even buy without the Extreme Edition. Otherwise ill probably replace my PB with a black MB with Dell 24".
  • Reply 29 of 81
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    after finishing up peace corps and generally doing a lot less traveling, i have no interest in a notebook computer. i don't like the keyboards, nor do i like the hunched over posture often necessary, or the frequently cramped screens. at the same time, i don't want a desktop that takes over the room, has a loud fan, and causes a spaghetti of cables.

i can't imagine i'm that unusual, and for me, the imac will be great.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasapi

I would definitely buy a Black 23" with Conroe cpu, i might even buy without the Extreme Edition. Otherwise ill probably replace my PB with a black MB with Dell 24".

DOn't get your hopes up. There will not be an Extreme Edition Conroe in the iMac. Period. That chip costs as much as the 17" iMac currently does. No way it's going into the iMac unless Apple all of a sudden decides the price point for the iMac can leave the $1299 / $1699 threashold and break into the $2499+ range.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac

<snip> i have no interest in a notebook computer. i don't like the keyboards, nor do i like the hunched over posture often necessary, or the frequently cramped screens. at the same time, i don't want a desktop that takes over the room, has a loud fan, and causes a spaghetti of cables.

Completely agree. And these days many require a computer that's on 24/7 and acts as a media server; web server; gives VOIP access, video conferencing access, instant messaging access, email and internet etc. instantly. For this a near silent and unobtrusive desktop is required. The iMac is ideal. Whether a Conroe based iMac can be near silent is another question.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    they better not wait until after sept 16th for that stupid free ipod deal to end. I don't even want the ipod!
  • Reply 33 of 81
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

DOn't get your hopes up. There will not be an Extreme Edition Conroe in the iMac. Period. That chip costs as much as the 17" iMac currently does. No way it's going into the iMac unless Apple all of a sudden decides the price point for the iMac can leave the $1299 / $1699 threashold and break into the $2499+ range.

Heh!, its Apple remember, no chance getting my hopes up!. That said, id be dissapointed with a Merom iMac - which is most likely in order to maintain a reliable iMac. Besides, my requirements would be a 23" iMac which does not yet exist.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

If you need it now, buy it now. It'll still be a good computer after the update.

In my opinnion, it would have to be a pretty big "need". The longer the wait, the bigger the change, which just makes this wait that much more painful!

Does anyone smarter than me follow graphics cards? Whats the current iMac's graphic card like compared to what's one there? I don't know much about graphics cards, but the stuff I'm smoking tells me that Apple will make a significant jump in the next rev

-jay
  • Reply 35 of 81
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple

In my opinnion, it would have to be a pretty big "need". The longer the wait, the bigger the change, which just makes this wait that much more painful!

-jay

I am with you. When you are this close to an update, wait it out. That is what I am doing. I am just glad I decided to wait for the next Intel chip update. This Intel switch is such a great thing!

If you buy an iMac now, you have a great need or are just impatient.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Or you just want a computer right now and aren't obsessed with have the absolute newest tech.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Especially when in the current market Apple really needs to get the entry iMac down to $999 to help entice consumers to look more seriously at it. Of course they also need to get that price out to the general public and not just to the Mac centric media. I think that this is one of Apple's biggest problems, people think that Macs are more expensive than Windows PC's, they aren't shown differntly and so they never really look seriously at Macs as an option.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow

Especially when in the current market Apple really needs to get the entry iMac down to $999 to help entice consumers to look more seriously at it. Of course they also need to get that price out to the general public and not just to the Mac centric media. I think that this is one of Apple's biggest problems, people think that Macs are more expensive than Windows PC's, they aren't shown differntly and so they never really look seriously at Macs as an option.

When I 1st saw the iMac edu, I thought that Apple should make it available to the general public even at $999.

I agree that it's a most needed price point for a complete computer in Apple's line-up.

I think that Conroe-based iMac with integrated or discreet graphics will make it even more possible.

At the same time, I also think that offering a low-cost 17" widescreen stand-alone display would help.

Not only to bundle it with Mac mini's (right now the only all-Apple solution is the $699 20" display which cost too much for Mac mini customers (I think) and most of the third parties solutions are standard (4:3) 17" displays),

but also to be sold as a second display for the 17" iMac (edu or standard) now that the iMac has a mirror/spanning video out).

If the 17" display has an iSight camera, then, even the Mac mini could easily become an iChat computer, like the current iMacs and MacBooks (pro included).

My suggestions:

- a new 17" widescreen iSight display ($299? same panel as the 17" iMacs, economy of scale...)

- new Conroe-based iMacs, 17" models with integrated graphics, 2 choices of speed (1.86= $999, 2.40= $1299).

- new Conroe-based 20" iMacs with discreet graphics, 2 choices of speed (2.40= $1699, 2.66= $1999).
  • Reply 39 of 81
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix

My suggestions:

- a new 17" widescreen iSight display ($299? same panel as the 17" iMacs, economy of scale...)

For that price, you can have a 20-inch widescreen display.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

For that price, you can have a 20-inch widescreen display.

It's not Apple and it doesn't have an iSight built-in, nor the useful USB/Firewire hubs.

I was trying to figure out a lower cost all-Apple computer based on the Mac mini or the iMac, not the cheapest way to have something working.