PowerBook battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was under the impression that the battery was suppose to be able to last for around 5 hours. Did I read something wrong? When I have a fully charged battery it says I have like 1h 45m of time. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    It depends on how old the battery is. Over time batteries can "wear out" eventually losing most of their charge. There is a utility somewhere called "battery reset" that might help out your problem, I think thought that it only works with Wallstreet powerbooks (I'm not sure though). I get about 4 hours and 15 minutes on my lombard, about 3 on my wallstreet. But I don't use battery power too much.

Summary: I don't really know what I'm talking about, you may or may not be able to fix this.

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60655&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http:% 2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Expert&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&s howButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&s essionID=anonymous|156436555" target="_blank">this page</a>

Hopefully that helps.

edit: cleaned up that link

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it also depends on what energy settings you have..... also on your os, are you running X? jaguar? is your display set to the greatest brightness? are you using your CD drive?

these are all things you have to ask yourself

right now at 100% battery I can get (according to the timer) about 2 1/2 hrs of time, but if i shut off a whole bunch of things that I dont need on the road (airport, PC card slot, half the brightness) I can get it up to about 4+ hrs depending on what task I am doing... like if I am watching a DVD chances are I can watch the whole thing and have about an hour or so left to go other stuff on the road, but if i am writing a paper i can get about 4 hrs...

of course it also depends on the age of your battery and how often you use it... if the majority of the time your laptop is plugged in, your battery will have a longer lifetime...

hth

-Paul

P.S. take a look at the energy saver preference panel in system preferences and set it to your liking...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I think that the battery life on the powerbook is excellent.I haven't tried another laptop but the battery works very good for me.

I tried the battery with a USB mouse connected brightness 2bars before max and also a second monitor working on expanded mode.Modem was up and running and also cinema doing a simple render and some corrections on my model on the second monitor.Well I got 2hours and 5or so minutes.I think this is great.The other day when I was writing a paper a dropped the brightness at 4 bars and kept writing.Battery life 6 hours!!!

If this isn't good battery life than I don't really know what is...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chris Griff:

<strong>I was under the impression that the battery was suppose to be able to last for around 5 hours. Did I read something wrong? When I have a fully charged battery it says I have like 1h 45m of time. Am I missing something?</strong><hr></blockquote>5 hours is a lie. I have no idea where they get that number.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote] 5 hours is a lie. I have no idea where they get that number.<hr></blockquote>

Turn your brightness to the lowest point, use os 8, have no memory installed and type with one finger, running nothing but SimpleText... I bet that would give you five hours...

My ibook is currently out of battery after only 20 minutes, should I complain to Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>

Turn your brightness to the lowest point, use os 8, have no memory installed and type with one finger, running nothing but SimpleText... I bet that would give you five hours...

My ibook is currently out of battery after only 20 minutes, should I complain to Apple?</strong><hr></blockquote>

YES, if it is under AppleCare do so ASAP. My iBook indigo had the same thing happen and they wanted me to reset the power manager and zap the pram (ya know the normal) then drain the battery completely then charge it for the whole day and call back... after that called back and in 3 days got a whole new battery

Also if you have a rev a or b iBook some Sears still have some of those batteries maybe in the stock room for less then $19 a piece. You may have to bribe an associate to go back and look in "the cage" for you. Of couse when you buy them they come with a 1 year warrenty from apple for a year from purchase

Thats all for now,

A@ron
  • Reply 7 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    well, its not under AppleCare, and we don't have Sears over here (Norway)... It's even over a year old (from the first bunch of new ibooks), but I think i'll count on Norways great consumer laws , and send it in anyway...

Thanks for the help though...